Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
To Stab or Not To Stab? >

To Stab or Not To Stab?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To Stab or Not To Stab?

Old 12-22-2002, 12:27 PM

Default To Stab or Not To Stab?

No, I'm not O.J. Simpson.

I'm not really concerned all that much about excessive vibration (or whatever you want to call it) on my Mathews Legacy, but I'm wondering if I should get a stabilizer to help balance it out. I plan to use the bow only for hunting and am not sure I want to put anything else on the bow to just be extra weight and need extra clearance. I'm pretty much a beginning archer (been out of it for ~10 years), so I'm wondering if it would help my accuracy, too. Any opinions?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To Stab or Not To Stab?

It sounds like you don't feel that you need a stab on your bow. Go with what you feel will give you the most confidence. A level balance is a nice feeling bow but the way the Legacy is, it won't take much weight to give it a level feel. The GKF Tranquilizer is a great choice for many archers looking for a lightweight stab that will not add to much weight to give you an awkward front heavy feel. The Tranq will also take a good amount of vibes out because of the Simms technology. Stay away from the overly heavy designs that a lot of companies offer.

Edited by - IL-Cornfed on 12/22/2002 16:21:12
Old 12-22-2002, 03:20 PM

I really haven't decided whether I want to have a stabilizer or not. With as much as I've invested in this bow, the cost of a stabilizer isn't really much a consideration if it will make it better somehow. If I get one, I would probably get either the 6" 10oz. or the 8" 12oz. Hunter stabilizer from Stealth. I would order one today if it didn't cost so much extra to get it in camo
Old 12-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Jason,I have taken alot of game with a black stabilizer on my bow....including 3 P&Y whitetails!
I know that some guys like to have matching accessories,but the critters really dont care!
www.stealtharchery.com
Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 PM

Umm.. the camo stab isn't for the deer. It's for me, same reason that I had to order a quiver in the same camo pattern as my bow, even though the shop had one in stock of a different pattern that would have worked fine as far as hiding from deer. It's a style thing.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Jason,I understand!I hope to get big enough to offer a camo stabilizer at a better price someday!!!!!
I just do not do enough volume to have the camo done and get a good deal.... and pass it on to guys such as yourself who prefer a camo version.
I have seen some Stealth stabilizers that guys have wrapped with Camoclad tape (you can get it in all of the popular patterns) and they look almost as good as a dipped one if you wrap it so the seem is on the bottom....just a thought!
Jerry
Old 12-22-2002, 08:34 PM

Jason/Jerry: I wrapped mine with thick camo moleskin. It 'looks' good and it keeps it very quiet if you bump something.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I added Limbsavers and their Modular Stabilizer System to my Mathews FX and while I agree that a stabilizer helps balance your system, it also helps dampen noise and vibration. When I added these components to my already whisper quiet set-up it also markedly improved my accuracy.

Bowhunter
Old 12-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put the T.R. EXCHANGER on my legacy and it does help--it feels good on the shot and took out what little noise the bow had.JMO.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:13 PM

The Stealth Stabilizer is a good one. I have one on my Legacy. Your roller guard and cams are black; a black stabilizer will look good on your bow.

Quick Reply: To Stab or Not To Stab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.