Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is this jus me?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default is this jus me?

sence i satrted shootin this year (about a week) when i draw back an get comfortable the pin i use for 20 yds is low on the target spot i am aimin at... an i cant seem to bring it up... when i try to bring the pin up it feels so damn uncomfortable..its like someone is pushin down on the bow an im tryin to rasie it up... ive heard that yopur suspose to start high an come down on the target... i tried that an it is still really hard... is this jus a form proablem im gonna have to jus learn to raise it up higher or something else im missin here? its makin for some tough shootin i know that
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Default RE: is this jus me?

It sounds like a form of target panic. Your freezing under the dot. I find myself doing the same thing every once in awhile. Somebody should come through here and give you some tips to get rid of your TP.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i sure hope soo. cause its a pain
Old 06-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Try blind baleing. Go to the range with a big backstop. Do not put any sort of target on it, then shoot from 10-15 yrds with you eyes closed just feeling the shot, now worrying about where it's going(make sure your close enough that it does hit the bale). Get comfortable feeling your shot first, maybe 50 shots like that. Then start shooting into the bale with your eyes open, not worrying about hitting a spot at all, just feeling the shot without "aiming". Do this for a while also. Then hit a couple big spots (6-8") at 15 yards. Slowly get smaller spots and farther distances. This is not a one day or even a one week deal, if you want to get rid of TP, it will take some time.
Hope it helps!
Dandbuck
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just to add to dandbuck's post... When you start shooting with eyes open, hang a plain piece of burlap over the target. You don't want any aim point to mess with your concentration on shooting form. Since having an arrow in the target gives you an aim point, only use ONE arrow. You're going to only be a couple of yards from the target butt when doing this routine, so you don't need more than that anyway. Shoot the arrow, step forward and pull it, then step back and shoot again.

Also, be sure to take at least 30 seconds to a full minute between shots. Review each shot in your mind, trying to remember exactly how it felt and thinking on how to fix any problems you notice. And be sure to quit shooting BEFORE you start feeling tired. Practicing while tired only reinforces bad habits.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 AM

There are many things you can try, and it's important not to pay attention to hitting a particular aiming point for a long time to get through it. Guys who overcome target panic, often have to spend many weeks retraining their minds, without ever releasing with the attempt to hit a spot.

One technique it to draw, aim and them let down without shooting. On a compound, you'll have to be shooting a very comfortable weight to do this the required number of times. Once your mind realizes you arn't trying to hit anything, you will be able to move your point of aim wherever you want. However, don't be tempted to start shooting. It takes a long time to properly retrain your subconscious.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 AM

on the chance its not tp, try taking 1/8 turn out of your bottom limb.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Do not put any sort of target on it, then shoot from
Actually , to me this doesnt do any good at all. What has caused your problem? The spot, not having it up there sure you can shoot at perfectly but when you put the dreaded spot back up what happens? The Jekyl and Hyde returns. The best thing to do IMO, is to conquer your nemesis. Put the spot up and get close to it and shoot it . Stay up close and personal till you can hold on the X of the spot without drifting low. Then when you have it conquered at that close distance add a few more yards between you and the target and do this again till holding on the X is natural . By the time you have reached 20 yards again you will be holding on the X without drifting low.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

There are many things you can try, and it's important not to pay attention to hitting a particular aiming point for a long time to get through it. Guys who overcome target panic, often have to spend many weeks retraining their minds, without ever releasing with the attempt to hit a spot.

One technique it to draw, aim and them let down without shooting. On a compound, you'll have to be shooting a very comfortable weight to do this the required number of times. Once your mind realizes you arn't trying to hit anything, you will be able to move your point of aim wherever you want. However, don't be tempted to start shooting. It takes a long time to properly retrain your subconscious.

This is the best advice for battling the dreaded tp.

Blind bail works great for learning how to shoot bt properly and does help tp but aiming practice has helped me and a few other shooters I know.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

on the chance its not tp, try taking 1/8 turn out of your bottom limb.
Yep, it's just possible the bow might not be tillered properly and is fighting you. Not as likely as TP from what you describe, but it's something to try.

Here's the way I'd do it though. Put your sight pin on a spot and begin drawing the bow, straight back. The bow will likely try to pull the pin off the spot as you pull, either up or down. You make adjustments on the limb bolts based on which direction it goes. I'd suggest working in half turn increments at first. Then as you get closer you can make smaller adjustments.

If the pin pulls UP, tighten the bottom limb, loosen the top limb, or both.

If the pin pulls DOWN, tighten the top limb, loosen the bottom limb, or both.

Keep adjusting until the pin stays close to the spot as you draw, all the way to anchor. When you've got that done, you've got the tiller adjusted to match your unique grip style. The bow will hold a lot steadier for you at full draw. It will also draw smoother and very likely shoot faster and quieter than it did before.

Just so you won't be taken by surprize, this procedure WILL cause your nocking point to move. How much it moves depends entirely on how badly your bow is tillered right now. Be prepared to adjust it when you're done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.