Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can you shoot a bow too much >

Can you shoot a bow too much

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can you shoot a bow too much

Old 05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Can you shoot a bow too much

I purchased a trykon xl in feb with all top of the line gear. I am a larger man and had no problems shooting old bow at 68-70 lbs., I moved down and now shoot 50-60 lb bow set at 58 lbs. (Pro shop owner sold me on lighter draw weightaccuracy picked way up and still shooting 260-265) I can shoot all day at this weight can I damage the bow by shooting up to 100+ shots a night or every other night. I wax every night and take care of my equip but was wondering what you guys think?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Can you shoot a bow too much

Well, more you shoot it, more wear. Wear on the string, wear on the bushings, change of tune over time.

I used to shoot one compound I have a whole lot like you. It would shoot good for a few months and then start shooting bad. String stretch creeped in, then bushing wear. Cams have started tilting.

I enjoyed it, just going to have to be on top of your tuning. Measure everything, from Axle to axle, note timing marks. Note draw wieght and always keep tabs where its at.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM

While what bigcountry says has some merit, you really aren't gonna hurt that Trykon much. You will need to replace the strings and cables every year most likely, but other than that have at it. The bearings are all sealed and don't require any maintenance. You may want to have your proshop guy go over it once a year just to check the limb pockets and all that good stuff, but that's not anything anyone else wouldn't do anyway.

These newer strings such as the Fuse set you have on your Trykon don't stretch the way the "older" strings used to. The old fastflight strings were notorious for stretching over time, but that's not too much concern anymore. After you've shot 100 times or so, these newer strings are shot in and shouldn't stretch anymore.

You'll wear out before that Trykon does.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with mobo on this one. Pretty tough to wear out the hardware on a bow. Strings and cables can be looked at like oil changes on cars. New oil, but not new engine every time. You should be fine shooting your bow that much, and you will become a better archer because of it!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM

I had the opportunity to talk to a pro that worked for one of the bow manufacturers. They have a testing machine that fires arrows from a bow8 hours a day 5 days a week.The limbs typically show no wear or breakdown after 250 - 300 thousand arrows.

Your shoulders will give out longbefore the limbs.

The thing that you have to watch for is wear andcreepon the strings and cables. They are the only "consumable" on a bow, not counting the arrows.

Like BC say write down the ATA and brace height and check them every couple of weeks. Also, use marker and mark your cams so that you can check them to be sure they are still timed. If you see the mark move, it is likely that the string or cable has creeped a little.

Every year check the axels for wear, check your cams for nicks and retune your bows and your bow will outlast you.

Good luck,
Allen

Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Yes, you can shoot a bow too much. I did so this past Sunday. I shot for nearly four hours total. Really got in a groove. At one point, hit a paper plate ten times in a row at 70 yards.

Took some Advil Sunday night. Went for some Ben Gay last night. Am going to have to lay off for at least a week. I'm sure other 55 year olds have similar problems.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will get wax build up with that much waxing.You shouldn't wax but about once to twice a month with that much shooting.

The bow will be fine and as others have stated,change the strings and cables yearly or every other year and all should be fine.

When I shot tournaments alot,I would shoot more than that and it is definately harder on the shoulders than the bow.