Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow penetration vs. weight >

Arrow penetration vs. weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow penetration vs. weight

Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow penetration vs. weight

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

Yup TFOX, that is right (at least to the best of my understanding, and besides that you are always right!!). As velocity increses the frictional force, in fact,decreases.

Tell that to my wife.I keep telling her that but she doesn't believe me.[8D]

I wish that were true.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 AM

tfox, mine doesn't believe me either.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Number my wife among the nonbelievers too!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are funny

Just spit on it if your having friction problems....
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I saw this post I started laughing my a$$ off. This post is eerily familiar to me..

To test penetration basedonly onweight youhave to have the same diameter shaft and spine the same for all the arrows. If not the thinner shaft will more than likely out penetrate the thicker shaft every time. In addition, the arrow with the higher spine will loosevelocityslower. The more "flimsy" arrow will oscillate more upon contact with the media increasing the side friction on the shaft due to the bending of the shaft.

Am I explaining that right bow_hunter44?

I found that out with the experiment I did for the "Physics is Fun" Thread.

If you wanted to test for penetration based on diameter than you would need the same weight and spine for each shaft.

There are a lot of variables that you have to take in to account based on the test you are trying to conduct.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

That is true Dave, increaded oscillation will increase friction. Not only that, but a 'flimsy' shaft will loose momentum upon impact due to theoscillation of the shaft. That momentum would be much better spent following, or perhaps even driving,the broadhead into the target. Needless to say, the topic of penetration is far from a remedial one!

When I first read the topic of this thread I almost ran, ran screaming into the night!!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 PM

The straighter an arrow comes off the rest and/or the sooner it straightens out, the less chance of it adversely affecting penetration.

As Bowhunter 44 stated:
That momentum would be much better spent following, or perhaps even driving,the broadhead into the target.

Also, said in a different way, the oscillation/porpoising/minowing or any mode of travel from point 'A' to point 'B' in anything other than a straight line will affect momentum/penetration.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

When I first read the topic of this thread I almost ran, ran screaming into the night!!
Lee,

I bet you did.

Every test that's performed on arrow performance (or any test for that matter)musttry to have only 1 variable and keep everything else as a contant when comparing items. Introduce too many variables and the test is not valid or the outcome is skewed.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, and the number of variables is staggering!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Len , a better test would have been to shoot the beman into a target , measure , put weedwhacker line in the shaft , or weigt tube , and shoot the same shaft and head into the same target and remeasure .

Quick Reply: Arrow penetration vs. weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.