Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Interesting STS find >

Interesting STS find

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Interesting STS find

Old 04-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting STS find

Ok, this is my second post tonight.....man, I must be bored.

While at the shop the other night (see other post) I decided to tear off my other string leach. I've been shooting with them on, but the top blew off and other was hangin in there.So, with 3D here, why not pick up a couple FPS. With both off, I took a shot. To my amazement, this bow is actually quieter now than with them both on. A dull thud, thats pretty much it.This is out of a 07 Allegiance set at 66lbs. The only things on my string now are a Tru Peep and a loop. Arrow weight at the time was 370gr.

My question is, how many of you shoot a bare string with an STS? I'm not sure why this thing is quieter. My guess is that without the added wieght of the silencers on the string, there is less oscillation at the shot.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting STS find

Chris.

My Black Ice only has a peep and string loop on it with the CSS.

My Commander is currently waiting for it's CSS but the string is bare except for peep and loop and boy is it quite.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM

Kisser, peep and string loop, with the STS and I am loving it. Very quiet.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm waiting on my MeanV css to get here so I can remove my string silencers. Did you guys remove them from the cables too or just the string?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM

Remove everything.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 AM

What you'll find is that the placement of devices on a string may drastically affect the noise and vibration of the string, just as the placement of the STS style device may have the sameadverse affect.

If you find the right balance of string parts and/or the right balance of the STS style device, you'll see rewarding results. Too many people just bolt things on their bow or tie things on their strings with disregard to the consequences.

Think about it.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I left my cable silencers on. Figured they really can't hurt as I don't think they affect much. I'm going to chrono this thing again one of these days to see what speed I picked up. But man its as quiet as a church mouse now.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Another "STS" related item...

I was rather intrigued with the new AEP version of an sts-type of device. Unfortunately they don't have it on their website, but at the bigger target shoots they have slow-mo video at their booth of their string suppressor.

The STS uses a rubber stopper that the string runs into on the shot at or around the brace height.

The AEP version uses two rubber "nubs" that are offset from being directly inline with the mounting rod. This lets them absorb a lot more string travel energy as they can flex more freely as opposed to one that mounted in-line with the rod. Pretty cool slow-mo video to watch if you get the chance to see it.

I bought one to try out, but at the moment I don't have a hunting bow to try it on. I'll get some pics of this thing up later today or tomorrow so you can have a peek at it.

And Nunzio (owner of AEP) has recommendations of how much of a space to leave between the supressor and the string- he does not recommend putting the device right up to the string at brace. His findings are that better performance is achieved leaving 1/2"-3/4" of space(depending on the bow). From slow-mo video he claims that this space lets the string travel forward a bit before contacting the rubber giving a better and more consistent release of the nock from the string.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Here's some pics of the AEP version. I have yet to try it, so I can't comment if it is better, worse, or no difference than the STS-type of supressor.

The slow-mo video was impressive. Because the two rubber 'nubs' that take the hit of the string are not directly inline with the mounting rod, they flex quite a bit upon impact absorbing a LOT of the energy after the nock clears the string.

There is a set screw to adjust for length. Since not all strings are directly behind a stab hole in the riser, the mounting nut that holds the rod assembly is at a 1* angle. This lets you rotate theassembly until the rubber head is lined up with the string, then you tighten it into the riser.

I'm not endorsing this thing yet since I haven't got a chance to try it- but just offering it up as another option for people to check out.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM

I shoot a 26" draw length so I ordered a meanv2 css to put on my bow in order to keep whiskers off my string. Need all the speed I can get out of my draw length. I've got a peep, loop, kisser button with knock, and extra serving on my string where the css contacts it. No leeches/whiskers however. Seems to be quiet enough.

Quick Reply: Interesting STS find

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.