Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Who said that physics wasn't fun? >

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Here are charts for 2 different weight arrow that are PROPERLY spined and setup for my bow.

I have posted this before but pay close attention to the speed and energy.

PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO THE DROP PER YARD DIFFERENCE.THIS IS WHAT WILL BE YOUR MISS DIFFERENCE IN A HUNTING SITUATION BETWEEN A LIGHT AND HEAVIER ARROW.

This example isn't using extreme differences but 61 grains should give you an idea of what to expect.

That's impossible. You can't have 2 seperate arrow weights have the right spine for your bow!!!!
NOT IMPOSSIBLE

I believe I used a FMJ for one and an ACC for another.The spine deflection for both was very close.

An Easton aluminum 2115 has a spine deflection of .462 and a total weight with my setup of 433 grains

An Easton redline 460 has a spine deflection of .460 and a total weight of 334 grains.

Right at 100 grain difference with almost identical spine deflection and both spine perfectly for my bow.

This is using the same insert weights and fletching.I didn't feel changing the insert weight was necessary to show the comparison of spine.The aluminum shafts would be even heavier if I changed that.

When I was talking about broadheads,I was referring to the large cut expandables,they are designed for massive damage,NOT penetration.I have a lower energy setup and therefore,I utilize heads that have penetration more in mind,smaller cut.

My daughter uses 2 blade heads that are the best for penetration but don't do as much damage.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur,we were typing at the same time.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow,I just made an arrow that had an foc of 23.6% that was under 400 grains.

The secret was it was a traditional light stinger that is tapered and has several wraps of carbon up front.I had a 135 gr point and a normal insert that I did not weigh but I believe it was around 23 grains if memory serves me.I also used 4" feathers.Total weight was 399 grains.

It can be done but it isn't going to be done with normal arrows.

I am off to see how it shoots.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

NOT IMPOSSIBLE

I believe I used a FMJ for one and an ACC for another.The spine deflection for both was very close.

An Easton aluminum 2115 has a spine deflection of .462 and a total weight with my setup of 433 grains

An Easton redline 460 has a spine deflection of .460 and a total weight of 334 grains.

Right at 100 grain difference with almost identical spine deflection and both spine perfectly for my bow.

This is using the same insert weights and fletching.I didn't feel changing the insert weight was necessary to show the comparison of spine.The aluminum shafts would be even heavier if I changed that.

When I was talking about broadheads,I was referring to the large cut expandables,they are designed for massive damage,NOT penetration.I have a lower energy setup and therefore,I utilize heads that have penetration more in mind,smaller cut.

My daughter uses 2 blade heads that are the best for penetration but don't do as much damage.
I was being sarcastic towards others that said you can't do that. I know you can.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Ashby himself states that a high FOC light arrow will out penetrate a low light FOC by as muc has 50%. Now, if you were going to take that light high FOC arrow and compair it to a low heavy FOC arrow where would the penetration be tha same? In an earlier post someonse stated that if I shot a 420 gr arrow I would get 1/2" more of penetration. You are taking just one part of Ashby's report and running with it. To me you are in the "The world is flat" catagory.
You need to carefully re-read the report. Take a careful look at the graph.

First, his test are in animals, not foam. Second, none of his arrows were light weight. Third, he states in no uncertain terms, that substantial gain in penetration didn't occur until around 19% FOC. None of your test arrows are even close to that. Fourth, look at the graph and notice that the 14% and 16% FOC arrows had less penetration than the 12% FOC arrows. In other words, FOC is only a benefit when it's real high. He does say that more testing is needed to finalize his conclusions on this. He does say that initial testing does suggest that only extreme FOC arrows are advantageous in penetration. None of your test arrows approached this.

The point is, your test was with normal FOC arrows where his test shows no advantage. If you manage to build a proper arrow with an FOC of 19% or greater, you will find that it weighs at least 600 grains.
My arrow is at 18%. I'm pretty sure 18% is close to 19%. Or, do you count numbers different than I do? Just because he did not test arrows under 600 gr does not mean the same principle does not apply. I'm not really sur why you keep stating it has to be that heavy to accomplish this?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

That's impossible. You can't have 2 seperate arrow weights have the right spine for your bow!!!!
Really? That's news to me, and I'm sure to a whole lot of others as well. [8D]

Let's see.... Arrows that are properly spined for my bow using feathers and 125 gn heads at 32" long and their weights.

Easton XX75 2419 651 Grains
" " " " 2317 610 grains
" " ACC 3-71474 grains
Beman ICS 300 467 grains

I could also use Carbon Express weight tubes, or weedeater line, orpack them with foamand really buck up the weight of the Bemans without impacting their spine at all.
Again, it was sarcasm fellas. Sorry if you did not pick that up with the wink begond it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I saw anyone refer to a heavy and light arrow not being able to spine the same,I might have been able to pick up on it but I don't recall it happening.

The wink can have more than one meaning and sarcasm doesn't translate well through the keyboard.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, thats pretty interesting stuff. It is true, the difference in trajectory isnt a whole lot. Even though it was only a difference of 61 grains. I would be very interested in seeing what the difference would be for lets say a 350grain arrow compared to a 650grain arrow. I believe that when people are saying how much more a heavier arrow can penetrate than a light one, theyre compairing extremes. So just for sh*ts and giggles Id like to see a chart showing an extremely light arrow compared to a extremely heavy one.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I saw anyone refer to a heavy and light arrow not being able to spine the same,I might have been able to pick up on it but I don't recall it happening.

The wink can have more than one meaning and sarcasm doesn't translate well through the keyboard.

No problem on that one. The wink could mean I'm being sarcastic towards you. Not someone else.

I'm trying to lighten the mood in here. We've beat this horse dead.

Read Arthur's post about shooting cans and plastic bottles. It lightened my mood in a hurry.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2090937

Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go passthru

35 yard shot for 30 would be approximately 9.5" low with a 367 grain arrow FOR ME

35 yard shot for 30 would be approximately 15.5" low with a 667 grain arrow.AGAIN,FOR ME.

I believe the light arrow would be a wounded deer on a perfect shot and the heavy arrow would be a missed deer on a perfect shot.

Higher energy setups would yield different results.

When talking 300 grains difference,there is a considerable difference in the miss distance.

Quick Reply: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.