Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow strings

Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Default bow strings

well my serving by the cam is getting loose and i can now see the string !!! i dont know what to do...should i get it reserved...get a new string but how do i put it on and get a peep back on there and all should i just go to my bow shop...what brand of string would you get?what do yall mean when you make a string..they arent already made?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bow strings

ORIGINAL: the kidd

well my serving by the cam is getting loose and i can now see the string !!! i dont know what to do...should i get it reserved...get a new string but how do i put it on and get a peep back on there and all should i just go to my bow shop...what brand of string would you get?what do yall mean when you make a string..they arent already made?

ok ok, first of all calm down . If I were you I would replace it, especially if you shoot alot. If you are going to buy store brand strings, the only way to go is Winners Choice. You will have to let the shot press the bow, and they should take care of everything for you. But yes there are some people who make them. A good example is gibblet here on the forums, I havent ordered from him personally, but I hear he does excellent work. His prices are good too, but if you want to get some on it now go with Winners Choice.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

ok ok, first of all calm down . If I were you I would replace it, especially if you shoot alot. If you are going to buy store brand strings, the only way to go is Winners Choice. You will have to let the shot press the bow, and they should take care of everything for you. But yes there are some people who make them. A good example is gibblet here on the forums, I havent ordered from him personally, but I hear he does excellent work. His prices are good too, but if you want to get some on it now go with Winners Choice.
Or you can not get excited about it as a little serving seperation on strings is normal. It won't affect how you shoot or how your bow performs. The same thing happened with my Allegiance and I've continued to shoot without any problems. Gibblet himself told me not to worry about it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

Or you can not get excited about it as a little serving seperation on strings is normal. It won't affect how you shoot or how your bow performs. The same thing happened with my Allegiance and I've continued to shoot without any problems. Gibblet himself told me not to worry about it.

I actually typed that its shouldnt be a problem but said to myself, "I dont wanna say something I dont know for sure" because I thought it was just seperation and I kept shooting and my browning ended up blowing up on me. And see he also has a browning, soo, thats why i said go ahead and replace because Brownings strings are far from great.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:46 AM

A little separation is not generally a problem. If it's fraying, that's another story.

If the separation is large or it bothers you, you can always get it re-served. No need to buy a new string, unless you have other reasons.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though it most likely isn't a major problem, you may want to order yourself a string/cable from gibblet. Along w/ adding a few fps, it will calm your mind, and you won't worry about your string. One less thing to worry about can be the difference between a hit and a miss on a buck.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 AM

I agree w/ Straightarrow. A little seperation is not a serious problem unless you see some fraying.
If it bothers you , have a shop re-serve it. You don't need to replace it if the string is in good shape.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 AM

the string itself is doin ok i wax the bowstring often and then while i was doin that i found out about the serving just to let yall know it isnt the serving by the loopstring or nock point it is the part that goes around the cams it is only on the upper cam and it is about 1mm spaced if not then alittle less...so would i beable to just get it reserved and then buy a bow string late? i have already talked to gibblet but i just dont know this stuff cus i have heard theings like the number of strings in a bow string and alll that and how can he make it if he cant see my bow? oh yeah there is no fraying that i can see just spacing
Old 03-29-2007, 07:24 AM

How old is your string? If it's over two years old, have someone knowledgeable take a look at it.

Do you shoot a lot or just during the season? If you shoot a hundred arrows a year, it won't wear as much as if you shoot a hundred arrows a day.

Where do you store your bow? What matters here is the temperature where it is stored. If you keep it in the back of your car all summer long, replace it immediately and stop doing that! Heat killsstrings and is bad for bow limbs too.If it's stored in the closet in your bedroom, it likely hasn't been damaged by heat.

As the others have posted, a little serving separation is almost normal. However, it helps to know why it is separating in order to make a good decision.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't worry about that little bit of seperation at the cam, although not perfect it is quite common. There may be other reasons to replace the string ; # of shots through it, age. If it's more than a couple years old, is a low quality factory string, or it has more than a couple thousand shots through it I'd think about replacing it, otherwise you're probably fine.

Quick Reply: bow strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.