Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mini chrono experiment >

mini chrono experiment

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mini chrono experiment

Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mini chrono experiment

The bow:

Vectrix, 26" draw, 60lbs, 1/4" tube peep, ripcord drop away, 326 grain CX maxima 3-D selects

Test one:
was done 2 weeks ago when the bow was fresh out of the box. I did not wax the string yet andthere were 3 brass nocks totalas a nockpoint system. The 3 shots through the chono averaged 252.

Test two:
was done today with one of those brass nocks removed and replaced with an eliminator button. I'd also freshly waxed the entire string and cables.The 3 shots averaged 253, so a gain of 1. According to the quote below, I should've gained 2-4 fps. I'm thinking that waxing the string added weight and sorta offset the would be gain? What do you think?

Test three:
was then immediately done with the only change being undoing the peep tube. The 3 shots averaged 254. Now I can see test 2 as dismissable but according to the quote below, I should've gained 6-10 fps by removing the rubber tubing. Honestly though, it's hard to imagine that simply removing the tubing could net a gain of 6-10 because afterall, it's not actually a part of the string. So either the info below isn't all that accurate or the chrono isn't. Any thoughts?

String silencers will generally lose 5-8 fps or more (these are very dependent on the silencer design as well as where they are positioned in the string. The closer to the cam you can position the silencer, the less speed you will lose as a rule.) A brass nock means a speed loss of 2-4 fps. Rubber peep tubing robs 6-10 fps. Rubber e-buttons cause a speed loss of 2 fps each. And a string loop, without brass nocks, causes a speed loss of 1-3 fps.
This is where I got the quote:
http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/BowTechJuly.shtml
Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Default RE: mini chrono experiment

Did you replace the peep with a tubless peep or did you perform the test with the original peep?

A peep that requires a tube is heavier than a tubless peep [more plastic, larger design]. Simply removing the tube doesn't add much speed. Removing the tubing and replacing that heavier peep will be what gains you a few fps.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Test 3 was done with simply undoing the peep tube and leaving the 1/4" peep on the string whichnetted 1 fps.

I'm not sure exactly how much weight I'll be saving but as soon as G5 sends out their 5/16" peep (new unreleased product)to their vendors, I'll be ordering one. Hopefully, and I'm thinkingthat'll free up 4-5 fps over the current bulky tube style setup.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 PM

I've kind of been noticing that parallel limb bows aren't as affected by string add ons.....I'm not sure why that is either, or if it is....It's just something I've started noticing. I say that, but when I took the string silencers OFF my Vectrix I LOST 7 fps....So maybe it does......

Are you SURE the poundage was the same? The string may have stretched just a bit, slowing it down some.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Is 2-4 ft per second really enough to be overly worried with i think not. At 20 yards that extra 2-4 ft is so minimal its not practical to worry about it
Old 03-04-2007, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: matt068

Is 2-4 ft per second really enough to be overly worried with i think not. At 20 yards that extra 2-4 ft is so minimal its not practical to worry about it
yea exactly haha i wouldnt even bother thinking about it...