Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Anyone Chrono?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 AM
bigcountry

Default Anyone Chrono?

What do you think of my speeds? This is out of a martin savannah 50# with a FF string. I would like to know how others with 50# recurves fair.

Savannah Longbow
590gr 2018 with 175gr tip 159fps
560gr 2018 with 145gr tip 164fps
500gr 2016 with 125gr tip 175fps

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone Chrono?

With a 560 grain arrow my 51 lb ChekMate Kings Pawn does 184. My homemade longbow is 53 lbs and does 186. But keep in mind that's with a 32" draw length. That's a 24" power stroke on the recurve and 25" for the longbow.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have a chrono, but couldn't tell you the last time I had it out. I know it will need a new battery the next time I use it.

Drawing 30.5", shooting arrows that are approximately 9.5 gpp, I averaged 187 fps with my Crusader. That's shooting with a glove, a regular size (14 strand Dyna '97) string, silencers on the string, and about 8" of .025 serving. In other words, it wasn't stripped down for speed.

To me, about the only thing a chrony is good for is to guage your release--to see how consistent you are. Chrony's can vary, and results can be affected (good or bad, depednind on which way someone wanted to sway the results) depending on the string, release, arrow weight, arrow spine, brace height, etc. etc. etc. For instance, if I could post about a friend averaging 227 fps with his longbow (up to 232), and it would sound very impressive if I left out the arrow specs (way too light).

I heard a quote from one of the Wensel brothers that goes something like this:
"That deer don't care how fast your arrow is going when it flies over his back!"

Don't get me wrong--it's fun to tinker, and I like to have an idea of my speed, but it's not something I'll loose any sleep over.

Chad
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep.......
(I'm still a techy geek livin' in a stick world)

This number is out of my Black Widow SAV (30.5" @ 62.5 lbs)

515gr GT Traditional XT w/ 145gr tip+ 20grs up front = 200fps (As high as 203 on one shot but most were right on 200) Equals 46ft lbs of KE

640gr GT Traditional XT w/ 220gr tip+ 20grs up front and 50grs added to the rear I need to chrono when I get a chance but if the weight to kinetic energy ratio stays the same this one should still be pumping out there around 182fps.

Is it just me or is that a lot of WhoopA?[:-]
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

Ok, so I am little slow. Wow, Arthur, your homemade bow is doing well.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

BC, the first think I'll say is don't worry about it--as long as you have good arrow flight, sharp broadhead, and put it where it needs to go you have PLENTY of bow to do the job on most anything this side of an elk. Some folks wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with it, but I don't have any experience with them so I couldn't say.

Matt, it sounds good on paper (you are getting pretty much the same out of yourrecurve as I get from my longbow, but I'm pulling 3.5# more), BUT--you have to consider a lot of things that don't show up on paper. Arrow flight is a biggie--I rather shoot a bow 10# lighter that has perfect arrow flight vs. the heavier bow with a wobbly arrow--accuracy and penetration will be affected. A good sharp broadhead is a given, but also the broadhead design--mechanicals rob you of penetration, some designs penetrate better than others. And of course being able to put the arrow in the right spot--for me, after I reach a certain point in speed my accuracy goes down. That's including my #1 bow I'm so familiar with. I've tweeked it to get more speed (tiny string, short serving) and didn't shoot it as well.

Do your part though, and it wouldn't bother me to hunt moose with your set-up (pending I could hit anything with it).

Here is one potential problem, as I see it. With so many folks switching over from compounds (a GREAT thing!), a lot are bringing the need for speed with them. IMO, that's not what this sport is about, and shouldn't be a priority.

Don't get me wrong--I like a fast bow, and shoot a fast bow--but I won't sacrifice everything else for speed.

Chad
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
bigcountry

Well, Chad, I was shocked this last week to find out my longbow is outperforming my recurve. It has to be the string. I have always wanted those pretty recurves with all the different woods. But in my head I needed a good reason to get one. I always thought the recurve could blow away the longbow and I liked the grip. But I keep coming back to my longbow is quieter than that recurve, shoots harder, better arrow flight.

So after several dozen hours trying for good arrow flight, I am at the point of why???? I like the grip on recurves. Much more comfortable than the low grip on a longbow. But at this point, instead of beating my head against the wall practicing with my recurve, I better be practicing with my longbow I plan on using the most for hunting season which is approaching quickly.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, it sounds good on paper (you are getting pretty much the same out of yourrecurve as I get from my longbow, but I'm pulling 3.5# more), BUT--you have to consider a lot of things that don't show up on paper. Arrow flight is a biggie--I rather shoot a bow 10# lighter that has perfect arrow flight vs. the heavier bow with a wobbly arrow--accuracy and penetration will be affected.
Chad,
To be honest I never thought when I got into this that drawing and shooting that much weight would be possible or comfortable. I really didn't but the more I shot and shot and shot it got easier and easier and easier.
Seriously, 62.5# at my draw length feels like butter to me. (I'm a moose of a guy like you ) But even being a big strong guy it took a little til' the muscles adapted as well as the fingers. Now that they have the weight feels almost "light" for lack of a better word.
I can hold draw for 20 seconds or more and still make an accurate shot.

I know what you mean about arrow flight, that's one thing I brought over with me from my compound 3D competetive side. I wanted the best possible tune I could get and man do I have it. You should see my bare shafted arrows flying with my finished arrows at 200fps. They look like bb's leaving the bow and impact absolutely no different than my fletched ones. Standing at the line you can't tell which shafts are which in the target by looking at the nocks.
For giggles I paper tuned it at various distances and the bare shaft holes look like I shot them with a gun.
I have the same tune on the longbow. I was expecting a nightmare getting arrow flight that I was happy with and the process was simply enjoyable and turned out great. I loved the cause and effect of it.

As for worrying about speed.......not in the least. Maybe if I start to compete in 3D with either bow I'll mess around but that 640gr arrow tipped with the 220gr SS Muzzy Phantom will be humming along just nicely come deer season. I knew I wanted a finished hunting arrow in the 10-11gr / lb range and that's what I ended up with and everything just fell into place nicely.

I know my limitations and am in it for the challenge and the overwhelming tug of the romance of it, but I still like to see what the numbers are even if it's just for a base of reference.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you got it figured out Matt! One more thing though......

A faster bow (arrow) can be a slight advantage shooting 3-D, at least if you have some really stretched-out shots, but it's not a cure-all. I had this proven to me and another fellow this summer at a big shoot. I know the guy, and he's a dang good shot--within his comfort zone. As good as he is, he's still fairly new to this side of archery (his progress has been nothing short of amazing to me). Anyhow, he was shooting one of the newer whiz-bang adjustable this and that, machined-riser-so-you-can-shoot-super-light-arrows recurves. 'Course I rag him about his "modern" bow (all in fun), and he was telling me all the great and wonderful things about being able to shoot light arrows (basically telling me the same advertising/selling points I'd read). Think he was shooting 6 grains per lb (but you can go as light as 5). He was shooting great, UNTIL we got to a target that was stretched out. There was only.......4 or maybe 5, I think. Anyhow, he shot under all but maybe one of them. So much for super-fast ultra-light arrows being that much better for 3-D.

Long story short, there's no substitute for practice and knowing your bow....'course I know you know that, just putting it out there for the general public.

Chad
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Heres a scenario for ya... if you had a full body of armor on, and-- if you had your choice getting hit with a light fast arrow or a heavy slow arrow, what would your choice be? I know what i would choose.
I would be scared to death of that heavy slow arrow coming towards me and my armor!