Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

draw length ?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Default draw length ?

I have a ? about draw length. My last bow was 28". That was with my arm straight with no bend in it. I was wanting to buy a bowtech equalizer. The longer draw on the bow i believe is 26.5" or 27". I have been told that if you have bend in your elbow while shooting you are more accurate and more consistent. I could be wrong and could've been given bad info. I just didn't know what you all thought that moving down to that length would be a good or bad idea or couldn;t even be done...let me know what you all think...thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: draw length ?

More accurate? Look at the form used by most Olympic shooters and decide this question. You won't see many bent elbows. I have always shot with a straight, but not locked elbow, using bone-to-bone contact. This pretty much means that I don't have to use arm muscles to keep the arm extended.

I wouldsay that, in your case, if you have to lock the elbow then your bow's drawlength may be a little long for you. Shorter is always better, especially in the case of a hunting bow where heavier clothes are often the norm.

Probably just as important for string clearance is the position of the hand in the grip. The hand should be turned out at about 40 degrees or so, shooting off the meat of the thumb, with the hand and fingers totally relaxed. In simple terms, if you are gripping the bow then you're doing it wrong. This hand position allows for less torquing of the bow and automatically turns the elbow out and away from the bowstring.

A good bet, if you don't have the draw length down pat, is to have a bow that is adjustable for draw length. All can be tweaked a bit by twisting the cables or string, but much more than 1/4" and you should have a different module or cam to achieve the best performance.

Years ago I used to shoot about 28". Over the years I've found that 27" is closer to what I work best with, + or - 1/8", depending on the bow. 1/2" shorter and I can handle it. 1/2" longer and the bow sucks, and my new bow is just that. New modules are on the way as I write this.

Just some food for thought. And sorry for the rant.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Most professional archers and there are some great dvd's out talk about draw length in detail general will say you're right. A bent bow arm is a relaxed arm and that gives you a more accurate shot. Too long a draw length is bad and way too short is too bad on form. Take some pics at full draw and see how your form is. A 1/2" shorter will sometimes do it for what I have read. Just my .02
Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm trying to decide if I need a shorter draw length, a shorter release or if I just hold my bow wierd, because I consistly slap my armwith my string. I've been shooting a 29in draw for many years. It feel good and I have had it measured. I shoot really good but I do pay for it!!!![:@] Any ideas???
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

This the 3rd time I have posted this in about 3 days,Sorry but it applies.

This person is arguably the best compound shooter in the world.NO BEND,doesn't appear to be locked either.

Pretty much like BG says.The only thing I warn about on what he said is the elbow gets turned out,I like to say the forearm gets turned because if the elbow gets too far out,it becomes a little unstable.The elbow is out and down.You are not trying to get the elbow pointed parallel to the ground,but you also don't want it pointed straight down at the ground either.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM

if you take this video as an example his bow arm is relaxed and slightly bent at the elbow. His wrist is also down. Now that said everybody has their own form and not everyone wants to be a pro and all I'm adding is most folks tend to be over drawn and to have some photos taken of your self and look it at your form. A 1/2" could make a difference. Just my .02

I like the this video - worked out great!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharbono

I'm trying to decide if I need a shorter draw length, a shorter release or if I just hold my bow wierd, because I consistly slap my armwith my string. I've been shooting a 29in draw for many years. It feel good and I have had it measured. I shoot really good but I do pay for it!!!![:@] Any ideas???

You could be overdrawn a little or you could need to turn your forearm out.If you are not overdrawn and have trouble turning the forearm,you could try an STS,it should stop the slap.