Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How Blazers work >

How Blazers work

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Blazers work

Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Blazers work

ORIGINAL: the kidd

what i heard from my local bowshop was that blazers will through off your shot in the wind dramatically and thats what made my decision go with feathers but i want to try some blazers i just dont know if they will work for my setup
It depends on the surface area of the vanes, and feathers would tend to tolerate wind better because the wind can pass through them. The plastic vanes will catch whatever amount of wind is coming, and the larger the surface area the more arrow whip you'd get in windy conditions. That being said, I shoot cheap Dura-vanes, and until it get real windy, 20mph +, they still fly relatively well.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard over and over not to shoot blazers through a whisker bisket..It messes them up. I have never used a WB, but that's just what I have read on other forums. As for Blazers I am just now useing them and so far I like them, I haven't shot a broad head with them I'm hopeing they will work. I'd say just try them out for yourself and see how they perform through your WB..
Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glockman,
That's strange, because I was told by a couple of pro shop guys that blazers were the best thing to shoot through a WB because of the reduced friction. Just goes to show you that everyone has differing opinions.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have some friends that have been shooting blazers through WB ever since blazers came out and they have not had any problems.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Arrow stabilization is a function of vane surface area and the amount of frictional force applied to this surface. The larger the surface area that is exposed to this frictional force, the greater the stabilization.

That's why 3-fletch 15 degree helical will stabilize better than 3-fletch 1 degree offset, and why offset fletching stailizes better that straight fletch. The greater the helical, the more surface area of the vane is exposed to the frictional force of air.

Blazers have some advantage over conventional vanes of equal or SLIGHTLY longer length in that the steep angle of the leading edge provides for slightly more surface area of the overall vane, but this advantage is relatively small, and there's no advantage over 4" or 5" vanes because the total surface area of both of these longer vanes is far greater than 2" Blazers. For those shooting with a conventional rest, (TM style) the advantage of the Blazer is vane clearance due to its short length. For those shooting a drop-away rest, there's no advantage to shooting Blazers except for a slight gain in speed from the lighter vanes.

Because of its short length and smaller surface area, Blazers cannot stabilize an arrow better than a 4" or 5" vane, and I'm willing to bet that those who are getting good arrow flight with Blazers would get the same results with 4" or 5" vanes if they are shooting a drop away rest and the arrow dynamics (FOC) are the same.