Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 CX 3D arrow good for hunting? >

CX 3D arrow good for hunting?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

CX 3D arrow good for hunting?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CX 3D arrow good for hunting?

I'm considering some CXselect 3-D200's because of the tight .001 straightness tolerance but not sure if using this 3D arrow for hunting will hold any drawbacks. If you know please chime in.

Here'sthe arrow selection guide I'm looking at if anyone's interested.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/arrow-selection-6.htm
Old 02-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Default RE: CX 3D arrow good for hunting?

That's a beautiful hunting arrow. In fact, that's what I'll be shooting this year, as soon as they show up.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally,I would think the wall thickness would be too thin.This would result in poor penetration and fragile arrows.

The .001 straightness is no where near as important as spine tolerance.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, where'd you get wall thickness numbers? And what is it compared to a CX maxima 250? Reason I ask is because I shoot the 250's but just want to switch to a tighter tolerance arrow. The shop I bought my Vectrix from says the select 3-D'sare every bit as strong as the maxima 250's. Educate me so I can try to stop my order in time.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Personally,I would think the wall thickness would be too thin.This would result in poor penetration and fragile arrows.

The .001 straightness is no where near as important as spine tolerance.
LOL....whatever. CX have the tightest spine, weight, and straightness tolerances around. The cross weave construction is also very tough.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't have a number,usually when they put 3d beside the name,that means light and usually the first thing they do is cut down on wall thickness.

They are built for targets and not for penetrating game.

That is why I said I THINK.

Yes,I agree,the cx's are good arrows,I just have a problem buying arrows made in Korea when I can buy as good or better arrows made right here in the U.S.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! TFox is waaaayyy off base on his assumptions!

You will NOT find a higher quality, more precise shaft for hunting. They are an exceptional arrow and in fact, I "discovered" these arrows years ago while searching for a non-bendable tough alternative to my tursted ACC 3-49's. I found this ultimate hunting arrow when I tried the CX 3D Selects. I shoot the 200 CX 3Ds and I can provide you with all the proof you'll ever needto prove these arrows worth in the field. I know I've taken atleast35 or 40 whitetails with thee arrows and some of these deer have weighed in excess of 300#. A few have been true trophy class brutes and ALL have been complete pass-thrus and none of these deer have went more then 60 to 70 yards. I'll also have you know that most of these deer and especially the trophy class buck were also taken while using Rocket Steelhead b-heads guidingmy CX 3D Select 200's.

BUY SOME and see for yourself!Good luck and good shootin'
Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot the old original cx's and they were in no way as good at penetrating as some of my other arrows and at 58#'s,I need all the help I can get.They did the job and did it quite well but were not the best for me.

That being said,that means nothing compaired to the newer ones because they are a completely different design.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot both cx 3d select 200's out of my Merlin, and shoot cx Maxima 250 out of my Switchback, both arrows are tough, straight, and accurate.
So far very durable arrows.