Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rushing The Shot Problem >

Rushing The Shot Problem

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rushing The Shot Problem

Old 02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rushing The Shot Problem

Guys

My friend used to be a pretty good shot. Now in the last couple of years he developed a bad habit he can't seem to shake. He really rushes his shot the momentthe target appears in his peep. And of course its had an effect on his accuracy.

I've tried to tell him to keep his finger behind the trigger of his release until he has the target in the peep and hold still. But as hard as he tries he still brings his finger to the trigger right away and rushes his shot.

He is getting very discouraged. He knows its not the equipment, its him. He said as he draws he keeps telling himself to keep his finger where its at. But, once at full draw, (everything falls apart) and he doesn't pause and hold on the target for any real length of time and he rushes the shot big time.

Nothing has changed in his equipment since this problem started. Like I said he used to be a pretty good shot with the same equimpment.

Any advice to help correct this problem would be great.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rushing The Shot Problem

Tell your friend to do holding paractice. Have him keep his finger BEHIND the trigger with the intentions of never firing the shot. Have him hold on the target for as long as he can and then let down. This will hopefully program his mind to beleive that he is in control and can hold on the spot until he releases. After this phase, it would be good for him to blind bail, to feel the perfect shot without the added stress of aiming. I will not get into the accuracy triangle, but with these two methods, it is possible to train the mind to work differently for the proper technique.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if this has anything to do with rushing. When I'm up and first light comes, I look around and pick spots that I will be shooting. Then when the target comes, I just stay cool until it hits the spot that I picked. Then I draw and release. When I draw and release, it is less than 30 seconds. This technic hasn't fail me yet.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

If you're close enough to go and personally help him out...you may try this. Have him shoot only on your command. He draws the bow with his finger behind the trigger and then you go through simple commands of repitition. Something like; 1) "find your target" 2) "move your finger to the front of the trigger 3) shoot
After each command, you wait a second or two..forcing him to hold position...before you give the next command.
I have seen this work before. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

what your friend has is target panic, he is snap shooting. The best thing he could do is shoot at a blank bail from 5 ft. away with his eyes closed so he gets the feel for a proper release again. This will help him re-teach is subconcious that he can hold on target while aiming in stead of feeling that he has to release the second he is on target. Also just holding on target and letting down without releasing the arrow would be a great tool to use as well. Good luck.

Shane
Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read me suggestions in this topic. It helped me out big time. I used to have your buddies problem.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1968513&mpage=1&key=form%2cprobl em
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sr77

Read me suggestions in this topic. It helped me out big time. I used to have your buddies problem.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1968513&mpage=1&key=form%2cprobl em
sr77 that link to the other post hit home. My friend talked about freezing at times and not being able to move the peep to the target too.

Everyone thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

Tell your friend to do holding paractice. Have him keep his finger BEHIND the trigger with the intentions of never firing the shot. Have him hold on the target for as long as he can and then let down. This will hopefully program his mind to beleive that he is in control and can hold on the spot until he releases. After this phase, it would be good for him to blind bail, to feel the perfect shot without the added stress of aiming. I will not get into the accuracy triangle, but with these two methods, it is possible to train the mind to work differently for the proper technique.

Thanks for saving me some typing Elk.

This is exactly what needs to be done.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with sr77 on one part but disagree on another. Yes get up close and personal with the target butt. BUt instead of no target , put a target up there. It is the spot that is bothering your friend so just blank baling isnt going to do away with his fear of the spot. He will be fine while blank baling but as soon as you put a spot up there he will be back to where he was. Put the target up there and shoot real close . Being close you can retrain your mind to know that you can lock onto the spot without the urge to jam the trigger and will in time be able to hold on the spot and not shoot at all if you choose. You need to confront what is causing the problem (the spot) and blank baling will not accomplish that.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Another link for you to look at.

Blind bail shooting

Paul

Quick Reply: Rushing The Shot Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.