Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rushing The Shot Problem >

Rushing The Shot Problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rushing The Shot Problem

Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rushing The Shot Problem

When he is blind bail shooting have someone other than him trigger the release while he is holding his form. After doing this he will know what a surprise release feels like. He can also do this with his eyes open and focusing on the target when someone else triggers his release. Once he has done this for awhile he can the use his finger and will not have that urge to "punch" the trigger.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowtech Defender

When he is blind bail shooting have someone other than him trigger the release while he is holding his form. After doing this he will know what a surprise release feels like. He can also do this with his eyes open and focusing on the target when someone else triggers his release. Once he has done this for awhile he can the use his finger and will not have that urge to "punch" the trigger.
that sounds like a good idea... i think that would acually work...

Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech Defender

Interesting theory, and it may work somewhat. But thingsmay change when it gets back to him having complete control again. If holding practice and blind bailing after help him out, then switch to 2 releases set tototal opposites of the spectrum ( meaning one hot and one not) and switch them up between shots. This will keep things as a surprise. I train with 2 differently set releases and just grab one out of my pouch. I have no idea which one I have.

I had target panic so bad at one time, that when a pin would hit the target, no matter which one, the arrow was gone. At times I looked like I had epilepsy when I tried to hold on the target.

I wanted to get better and tried this and that along the way. That winter I spent every chance that I had doing holding practice. When the weather got too cold for the garage, I made a device out of a broom stick and elastic cord and mounted a sight on the broom stick. I would pull back and hold on an object and then let down. I was training my mind to hold on the target without shooting.

Then I went to blind bail to get the surprise release, blind bailing is great if done correctly. Just shooting close with your eyes closed does not mean that you are blind bailing. You must concentrate on the proper release. What you are doing is training your subconscience mind to do what it is supposed to without thinking. The conscience mind is then left free for nothing but aiming when it comes time to shoot.

Within a 2 year period, by using these methods, I went from the epileptic archer to taking a state championship and qualified for IBO worlds 4 times that year and the horn piles started stacking up. I ended up with a staff shooter position with a bow company and picked up 6 additional sponsors.A long way from where I couldn't control the shot enough to hita bowling ball at 20 yards if i tried.

If your freind can begin to overcome this dilema (which is curable) See if he will start shooting a back tension release. What this will do is enforce patience in waiting for the shot to go off. He can still shoot a trigger if he wants, but use the backtension to teach him the important factors of shooting.

Try these methods along with him, you might be surprised how much it helps your game also, good luck!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also had target panick,fairly bad and holding practice as Elk described is how I got over it.

Again,elk has saved me lots of typing because he is spot on.EVERY PART
Old 02-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If an archer has aproblem getting into the target as adressed on some of the posts, and everything seems to click otherwise, the bows tiller may need to be adjusted in either direction to bring more pressure to the top or the bottom limb. This will make it easier to hold on the target without fighting it. It will be you however that makes the decision whether it is a mental or mechanical issue. Usually my tillers are set up exact, however I have had one or two, that shot better with the tiller a little bit out. Most likely it is a mental issue, but once in a while it can be within the bow.....