Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about Hoyt Gamegetter >

Question about Hoyt Gamegetter

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about Hoyt Gamegetter

Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Spike

Default Question about Hoyt Gamegetter

Hey Guys,
I don't know a whole lot about bowhunting, so this may be a stupid question.
Several years ago, I bought a Hoyt Gamegetter, but before I got the chance to hunt with it much, I came up with Explosive Rhuematoid Arthritis. As long as I'm not having a flare up, I can draw the bow, but it would be a lot easier if I had different cams so that it's not a straight draw. Is it possible to replace the cams on a Gamegetter in order to get a percentage of letoff? Or am I gonna have to buy a bow and start over? The one I have is set up nice enough for me as far as LOP and I can adjust the weight, I just have a hard time holding the draw sometimes.
Thanks for any advice
Old 01-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about Hoyt Gamegetter

You might want to concider buying one of the newer smoother drawing bows.The 80 percent let off over you 65 percent may be the way to go.A good bow shop could modify you bow with smaller eccentric wheels and a cable set up,butat aperformance loss.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without being able to answer your questionyet. Some states do allow for those in your condition to install a full draw holder that allows the bow to be held at almost full draw to help you when it is time to take the shot It might be worth looking into. Lowering the poundage may help. You might also want to look into different type of releases as some may help you draw better. Its nice to see that you still have the drive. My dad gave up many years ago after he had his lung removed.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:04 PM

I believe my brother has the same bow as you, a Hoyt GameGetter II. If it is indeed the same bow he has, I would look into getting a newer model bow with a higher let off and set it at a low draw weight. Just make sure your legal to hunt with.A lower draw weight might let you shoot more with less trouble with aurthritis and its easier to shoot in colder weather.

Chief
Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Spike

Thanks Guys,
That's pretty much the reply I expected, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since a new bow will be hard to come by because of finances right now. I've seen several nice used bows on Ebay and I might look into going that route when the time comes.

Elkcrazy8
I live in KY which I think allows a person with a disabilty to hunt with a crossbow during bow season along with several other special priviledges. And that's a great thing, but for me, that's not an option right now. There may come a time when that's the only choice I have, but as long as I can stand it, I'll stick to the rules that everyone else follows. When the RA first hit, I spent 6 monthscounting on someone else to take care of me and do the things I needed doin. Eventually with a little luck, a good doctor, and lot's of good drugs, I managed to get back to a somewhat normal life. I don't plan on givin up againtill I have to, and even then, not without a fight.
Thanks again Guys