Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New string & now bow pulls 5lbs. less? >

New string & now bow pulls 5lbs. less?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New string & now bow pulls 5lbs. less?

Old 12-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New string & now bow pulls 5lbs. less?

Now that my season has wound down I am wanting to adress this new sting = lower draw weight issue.
Right before season I was tuning my backup bow (reflex extreme)and had it just about right when it started getting weird. No matter what I tried it just wouldn't cooperate. The string was coming undone and I didn't figure it out until one day I opened the bowbox and there my bow set with the string popped and the bow extended to the point where the cables stopped it.
I was in a rush so I had my wife drop it off at a proshop in the city where she works. I picked it up a couple of days later and brought it home to find it would only pull 65# instead of it's normal 70#.
The proshop told me they didn't have a regular string for it so they put on a Z-bra twist string that cross referenced as the right size.

My question is- is the string too short, or too long?? can I put some twist in or out of the string or cable to get it back to 70# pull?

My arrows went from 260 to 252 after the new string. I haven't shot it enough to stretch the string as it is only my back up bow. But now I'm ready to get it right (or get rid of it once I get a new bow-maybe).

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

I just checked the mark I put on the cam when I first got it and it appears the string is too short as the mark is at least 1/4" away from it's reference point on the limb.

Edited by - DaveC on 12/03/2002 15:14:50
Old 12-03-2002, 02:34 PM

Default RE: New string & now bow pulls 5lbs. less?

The string is shorter than your last. The zebra will definitly creep, so lbs will go up as you shoot.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rack. The new string will stretch and you'll gain most if not all the weight back.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reasurance guys, I just let some of the twist out and got it up to 67#. Now I guess I need to streech that string out!!

Old 12-04-2002, 07:16 AM

Does the amount of twists in your new string appear (key word there) to be more than the old one? If so, you can untwist it some and gain some length back. Just an idea.....
Old 12-05-2002, 01:19 PM

is it a single cam??? if it is leave the buss cables alone and untwist the string a few turns, that should bring it up a few lbs. or tighten the cables up and leave the string alone..

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110