Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow pulls to the right >

Bow pulls to the right

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow pulls to the right

Old 07-17-2003, 02:07 AM
Banned

Default Bow pulls to the right

Some reason when I shoot, right when I touch my release and the arrow takes off my bow pulls to the right any suggestions on resolving this?

Thank You
Peak

Live and learn
Old 07-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow pulls to the right

It' s nearly impossible to tell you exactly what' s going on. These kinds of topics usually run along until someone makes a lucky, educated guess and it works.

It sounds like either you' re choking the handle in a death grip or you have a bent riser. But tell us some more about your setup. And, are you left handed or right handed?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Banned

Right handed, 1999 Hoyt magntec 63 lbs, 2117 arrow, 100 grain, arrows are 25 1/2 inches long. Tiger tuff arrow rest, loop
Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 AM
nub

Aside from what Arthur said, have you tried adjusting the tension on your release?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

That ol' MagnaTec is a tank! One of my favorite compounds ever. It isn' t going to bend, so the problem pretty much has to be in your grip or bow arm. Or both.

Without seeing you shoot, my best guesses are: the draw length is set a tad too long which has your elbow over extended - or you' ve got your hand grabbing the bow a bit too far to the right of the handle' s centerline... probably with your wrist bent back as well - or you' re choking the riser. Any of those can build a lot of left torque into the bow and cause it to recoil off to the right on release.

I recommend a straight, but not locked, elbow. Straight wrist, medium grip (vs low wrist, heeling grip most people are using nowadays). To get the proper grip angle, hold your open hand straight out in front of you, thumb extended straight up. Rotate your upper arm from the shoulder to bring the inside bend of your elbow perpendicular to the ground and your thumb pointing 45 degrees to the right. Relax your hand and that' s where you want your grip. The bow fits into the pocket between the thumb and forefinger. Use a wrist sling until you get used to the feel of shooting relaxed hand.

You might also be getting poor hand placement on that rubber grip. Now, I like the thick grips they put on those MagnaTecs, but I' ve got big hands. You might find it advantageous to take the grip off and use something like a Simms grip wrap instead.

Some of that may help. It may not. But without seeing you shoot, that' s jthe best I can do.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:45 PM

If you can eliminate any mechanical problems, most likely you are torquing your bow. Especially probable if the grip on your bow is an older full and large grip, as Art has pointed out.

http://www.merlin-bows.co.uk/tec%20talk%20torque.htm

Old 07-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Banned

OK I will work at this, this evening.

Thank You All
Peak

Live and Learn!
Old 07-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven' t had to deal with any mech probs that would cause this.
I' m guessing that torque dude.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

peakrut do you shoot openhanded? If so do you use a wrist strap? As with others here it is hard to say what is up without seeing you shoot.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:11 AM

peakrut, does this happen to you about every tenth shot you take where the bow jerks to the right and you miss the target at 20 yards? if so, i had/ have the same problem. here' s what i did to remedy this. 1st, i shortened the release in my hand where the trigger comes to my second knuckle. 2nd, i backed the tension off on the release. 3rd, i sometimes find myself putting the death grip on the bow. what i now do when practicing is i' ll take 15 shots where i get close to the target and shoot with my eye' s closed. ocassionaly i practice where i' ll come to full draw and practice holding on a spot, not releasing an arrow, and letting the bow down. i hope this helps, it works for me.