Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String prices?

Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Default String prices?

What coud I expect to pay for a string for my bear element(single cam)?
Nothing special, just an average string?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String prices?

At your local shop? Depending on the quality I'd say between $10 and $20. Just for a string. Complete rigging? About $35-$40 installed of course.

Now if you want to do it right then PM Gibblet on this site and have him make you up a good after market set that'll cost you about $50. Much better than generics and a lot less tuning problems in the long run.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

At your local shop? Depending on the quality I'd say between $10 and $20. Just for a string. Complete rigging? About $35-$40 installed of course.

Now if you want to do it right then PM Gibblet on this site and have him make you up a good after market set that'll cost you about $50. Much better than generics and a lot less tuning problems in the long run.
i think 10-20$ is a bit low for a replacement string... i would say 20-55$ for a decent one
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fufanu360

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

i think 10-20$ is a bit low for a replacement string... i would say 20-55$ for a decent one
Ah, that's the difference, see. Decent strings do cost more. And they are worth the extra money. That's why I recommend Gibblet. The reason my prices sound low is because that is usually what most shops carry---lower quality strings. There aren't many that stock Winner's Choice, Vapor Trail or some other good ones.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

25-45 is what they range around my house. If you are putting them on yourself then it will be about that much. If not maybe about 50 our a little more. But i just got new strings and cables for my pse typhoon and with new strings and cables it was around$84.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

25-45 is what they range around my house. If you are putting them on yourself then it will be about that much. If not maybe about 50 our a little more. But i just got new strings and cables for my pse typhoon and with new strings and cables it was around$84.
That's not bad if they are Winner's Choice, Stone Mt., Vapor Trail or some other quality after market rigging. But if they are just general run of the mill strings then that's about double what they should be.

I'll give an example. I worked at a store here in central Pa. We had two typesof strings basically. The good ole generic (the name escapes me) and Wiinner's Choice that had to be ordered. The el cheapo's cost between $13 and $18 for a strring and about $15 for a cable, depending on the material (BCY450 being more expensive). We did not charge for installation.

Winner's Choice averaged at $90 to $100 depending on length and bow type. Again, installed free.

Now, for all intnent and purposes the only difference between good and cheap is how the strings are made. They can each be made of the same material. The good ones are wrapped on the jig and then prestretched under several hundred pounds of tension to even out the load on each strand. Then they are twisted to certain specs to get the correct length, usually with about one twist for each 1 1/2" of string length. Then they are served, again, under tension. This what makes the string more stable, eliminating creep and peep rotation. For all this you gotta pay, but really, what good is a $400 to $800 bow with a cheap set of rigging on it that are constantly creeping and going out of tune?

Keep in mind there is a guy on this site by the name of Gibblet (John Mraz) that makes really good after market strings. You get to choose two colors and his price is usually around $50 shipped to your door. I've got a set on my target bow and they are at least equal to the Winner's Choice strings on my hunting bow that were $140.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just looked it up. TailorMade was the cheap strings we kept on hand. They make a higher quality one, too, but that's not what we stocked. And I have no experience with them.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM

It's just like anything you buy these days, you get what you pay for