Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ACCs vs FMJs?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ACCs vs FMJs?

I'm going to be looking to upgrading my arrows with my new bow, and I'm torn between these two. I know the concepts are somewhat reversed (carbon core vs aluminum core). I've heard nothing but great things about ACCs, but I hear very little about the FMJs. To me it would seem that the FMJs would be great for the face that the outer alloy encasement would make arrows easier to remove from targets, while the core is still carbon, the splintering is somewhat "contained". I know catastrophic failure of carbon arrows can be prevented by examining them before shooting, so could you assume since the carbon core is encased in the alloy jacket that failure could still take place without knowing? I'm just weighing my options and would like input from either side (shooting ACCs and/or fmjs). Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Default RE: ACCs vs FMJs?

It's been my limited experience that the FMJ's are not very durable......Penetration hasn't been as good either. Tolerances aren't as tight....My opinion.....ACC.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Dominant Buck

You'd probably get some sure enough technical answers to this question over in the technical forum where all the shop and manufacturer types hang out. Len hangs out there. I know he's played with and experimented with them all considerably. He's an engineer from his previous life and does like seeing what makes things work or not work.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can someone tell me the difference besides the 200 dollars in the A/C/C's and the A/C/E's? what's the E stand for? I know aluminum carbon composite for acc but not ace?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't tried the FMJ's but switched from ICS Hunter Elite's to ACC's this year. Never really had any trouble with the ICS's but somebody posted on here they had one blow up and I'd been thinking about going to ACC's anyway so went ahead and switched. No complaints here.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also switching to ACC's this year. Keeping my 06 bow so decided to upgrade my arrows this season and see how that works out.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

It's been my limited experience that the FMJ's are not very durable......Penetration hasn't been as good either. Tolerances aren't as tight....My opinion.....ACC.
Ya took the words outta my mouth!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Well, I guess my experience is the opposite of this one. I have been shooting the FMJs for about 7 months now, and they are one tough arrow. The aluminum outer makes them real easy to get out of targets. I've shot the same arrow through two deer and one coon, and it still just like new, save for a scuff mark here and there. Not sure how penetration could be less, as they are super slim in diameter, and very heavy as well. I shoot the 300s and they are 11.8 grains/inch. Penetration has certainly not been a problem with any of the animals I have shot. Both are very good arrows, but if you are planning on doing a great deal of target shooting, I would go with the FMJs because you will have a much easier time getting them out of 3D targets, and block-style targets as well.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ello? anyone know that the difference is between A/C/C's and A/C/E's??
Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with yopper. I have been shooting the FMJ's this season and they are as tuff as any arrow I have shot. Took everything from bear to turkey. Just the fact that the carbon is wrapped in the alum. makes them a safer choice. I have never had it happen but I have heard some bad stories about carbon arrows coming apart. For what it is worth I like FMJs and will continue to shoot them.

Quick Reply: ACCs vs FMJs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.