Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cracked limb

Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cracked limb

THe other day i was gettin ready to go out hunting and noticed my bow was noisey and not shooting good...so i was looking her over and noticed what looked to be a finish scratch...upon further inspection realized it was a cracked limb.

its a martin prowler se the crack ran down the back(side facing away while shooting)center of the upper limb startingat thecreseant(Pocket the wheel sits in between) and running down the center of the limb 5-6 inches. The crack didn't go all the way throu the limb, only about 3/4 the way (at least at the top where you can see the edge.) so you couldnt see it while shooting...

i noticed some vibration while shooting about a month ago and thought it was just my quiver mount...but then noticed it was getting worse...and Then the bow wasnt shootingright...i never noticed the crack until theother day...

i just bought the bow for 200 used and am good friends with the previouse owner...he had the bow forabout 3 seasons(hecouldn't remember because he doesnt have the reciept)and let me use it mostof this season before buying it from him....while he had it it was maxed out at 70# and 31.5 inches draw, i shoot at 28.5 and 57#...

anyway i gave him(the origional owner)the bow and he took it to the shop where he bought it...who is an authorized Martin dealer and repair center. And the owner said hed fix him right up and ordered new limbs right their and said hed call when he got them and slap her together....Martins warranty is 3 years on limbs(they pay for everything including shipping), and is non transferable...so i would have been SOL if i took it in....also it does help that my friend has bought seven bows from this place in the last seven years....

i dont know what caused the crack...its never been dry fired and my arrows are well over the 5 grains per pound min....would him shooting that bow at its max settings for 2.5 years put enuff stress on the limbs to eventually cause a crack?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Cracked limb

Any bow can have a cracked limb.Any part can fatigue aver time so i would not doubt that could be the culprit.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM

what are bow limbs made of?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 PM

fiberglass
Old 12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: newman1

fiberglass

Don't take this the wrong way but not good limbs.There are alot of quality bows that choose not to use the best available technology to build their limbs.

It is true that most limbs on the market today are fiberglass but the best limbs are laminated of glass and carbon resins.

This why most ( if not all)manufacturers are experiencing a higher failure rate than those that choose to utilize the available technology of lamination.

All manufacturers do have limb failures from time to time but much lower in the laminated ones.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM

And split limbs don't get this kind of split in the limb (one of the reasons for the advent of split limb technology).
Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: newman1

fiberglass

Don't take this the wrong way but not good limbs.There are alot of quality bows that choose not to use the best available technology to build their limbs.

It is true that most limbs on the market today are fiberglass but the best limbs are laminated of glass and carbon resins.

This why most ( if not all)manufacturers are experiencing a higher failure rate than those that choose to utilize the available technology of lamination.

All manufacturers do have limb failures from time to time but much lower in the laminated ones.
Who said anything about the best verses the rest??You said yourself that most bows on the market have fiberglass limbs,How is that statement any different than what i said?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know about the bow in the first post, but Martin does use laminated limbs in many of their bows. Even laminated limbs fail though.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is why I stated DON'T TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY.

You are correct,most do use fiberglass,BUT it isn't the best way with the technology of today.

That is all I said AND all I meant.NO hidden agenda or meaning.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i was you i would not shot it if it was cracked.

Quick Reply: Cracked limb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.