Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows >

Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

Well, my wife says a couple days before Christmas "Are you getting a new bow this year??".........I said "Don't know......haven't shot them yet".........she replies "Go shoot them and if you like them get one and put it under the tree"

First off, if this is your situation, then there really is not that much to complain about.

Lots of new bows left to try, Pearson, the Ross Cardiac, new High Country bows. Maybe not by Christmas, but it sounds like you wife is encouraging you, so keep the project rolling until you find something you like better. In the meantime, the Patriot is a really good one to enjoy.
Yes.........my wife is very cool. We both have worked very hard to get where we are so that makes it much easier........but she was just as cool when we had no money in the bank.

I have plenty of time...........and will shoot plenty of bows. If nothing trips my trigger I will tote the Patriot out and be very happy.

I am just surprised/disappointed after reading so much positive feedback on these new bows..............I really thought I was in for something special.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: CWG

Atlasman, you oughta post this on archertytalk..LOL, they'd fight over who got the torches first!
Good review. At least it has the appearance of an honest review vs. the fanboi type I usually read.
regards

I'm not sure what you mean...........are you saying they would kill me over there because I didn't like the new bows?? I browse over there sometimes but not that much so I don't know the makeup of that crowd. There are PLENTY of hardcore Bowtech and Mathews guys here as well.

I own a Bowtech and love it so I guess I am a Bowtech guy to a certain degree.

I just wanted to give people a heads up on what I saw and felt when I shot these bows. Some of the issues I saw on the guardian were serious IMO.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Atlas, when I bought my new Patriot('05) I actually did so because it felt better to me before and after the shot. I am thinking of trying an '07 Allegiance while keeping the Patriot. Perhaps even the Martin Pantera. All in all if you keep the Patriot as your hunting bow, thats not a bad choice. I've already decided it should be considered a legend.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You honestly can't go wrong with the Patriot, it was one of my all time favorites for a hunting bow and honestly I liked it much better than my allegiance because it was almost as fast and MUCH smoother.

I would also check out the Rytera BulletX with both the vipro cam and nitrous cam and keep your eye on what they have coming after the ATA show later in January.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM

well, where's all the staff shooters at today?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice to see an honest review. Some people jump on the new bow bandwagon every year.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was an excellent and remarkably unbiased review of the new bows. One suggestion I would make is go back and try the Tribute and the Switchback XT and Also a Ross 331 or 334. I think you might like what you see in those 3 models, longer brace and extremely smooth. Last years technology really isn't anywhere near dated yet. Companies just spit out new stuff every year to generate new sales. But, I have to admit that I regret selling my Patriot also, it was a great bow.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, where's all the staff shooters at today?
What exactly is there to say?
Atlas' opinions are his opinions........by me or anyone else having a different take on a bow like Guardian isn't going to change that so why bother? Everyone feels or takes away different things when they shoot a bow for the first time.
I KNOW the Guardian is the most recoil free quiet bow that I have personally ever shot. I have no concerns about reliability or durability and quite frankly think the draw cycle is pretty nice? But I'm not Atlas.
I would certainly encourage everyone to form their own opinions first hand because I have heard everything from "The 2nd coming" to "not impressed" for every new make and model out there.

I took my Guardian to a local 3D shoot this past Saturday and as you could imagine it was quite popular with almost 200 shooters in attendance.(It was like bringing a supermodel to the prom that day[:-])
I let quite a few guys shoot the 29"/70# model and no exxageration at least 6 ofthose people actuallymade the comment that they read on Archerytalk where people said the bow draws hard so they expected the draw cycle to be harsh........every one of those people who stated that all thought the draw cycle was SWEET.
These were all people who had a preconceived notion of the bow drawing poorlyahead of time and they didn't get that impression themselves even though the seed was planted ahead of time by what they read.
They simply couldn't understand what people were feeling other than maybe trying to shoot a bow that was too long for them since only 29" Guardians are going out.
One guy was shooting a 29"/70# Switchback and said thatmy Guardian draws nicer than his personal bow that he thought drew great to begin with. He too read the comments and could only shake his head. (It would be safe to say that most Switchback owners would feel that their bows draw nice?)

I didn't get one single comment about a poor draw cycle, not one, but did get quite a few positive ones even though I got quite a few comments about concerns over the center pivot etc that they were simply unsure about how it worked etc. I was looking for all feedback.......that's what I do.
I also got feedback from 2 local shops who have them and they said people are flipping out over how great the bow is.........
(Oh yeah even though I only had it for exactly 2 days it did pretty good in the shoot too.)

So even though my experiences don't bear out what Atlas experienced doesn't mean he's wrong......it's just his take on it and you have to respect that.
So by Atlas feeling that the bow drew "awful" and by the first hand experiences I've had I can only say draw your own conclusions by trying it yourself.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:10 AM

I've shot the Guardian twice at the local shop and I thought it drew pretty nice. It's designed to be a fast bow and fast bows are a little harderto draw because it's storing more energy. However some don't like fast bows and the work they need to do to shoot them. That's why BowTech has more than one bow to choose from
Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Matt:

There was one comment thatcaught my attention immediately:
.....he then takes the bow from me and shows me the spot on the riser where the movable branch of the riser meets the limb in the middle and the finish on the riser arm had a line worn into it down to the metal from where the limb bracket was scraping the arm.

I checked the two Guardians that I have with a total of several thousand shots on them and can't find anything like what's stated. It would be nice to know what Dealer is involved because I'd like to call him to get a better explanation of what they're seeing because I can't find anything like it. If any Dealer would have a problem like that with any new product, you'd think they'd be on the phone with the manufacturer to get it resolved rather than making it an issue with a potential customer.

Another comment that seems odd was:
........the stress on the back half of those limbs is incredible.....

The 'stress' on the limb is equal to the point where you can see a nice rounded arc at full draw. The center pivot design is just that - a pivot that causes equal bending of the limb.

There were other initial comments that didn't 'wash' very well; but, like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in the new Bowtech and Mathews bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.