Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mechanical or fixed broadheads? >

mechanical or fixed broadheads?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mechanical or fixed broadheads?

Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mechanical or fixed broadheads?

I use both ,two spitfire mechanicals (100 grain)and one montech fixed blade(75 grain) in a 3 arrow quiver-they fly almost exactly the same(try it)-with a good mechanical you retain more conetic energy by not loosing speed,i.e. shooting a heavier arrow andhitting the target faster-the fixed blade for shots involving leaves -pine needles- or anything that might cause a mechanical to open-mechanical=bigger cutting di. bleed out faster-bowtechold glory -gold tip xt- trophy ridge drop zone- cobrasidewinder and mamba r2
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use mech. and they fly dead on with my points.. Mech leave bigger holes because they usually have bigger cutting diameters.
I use the eastman outfitter blades that I found at wal-mart. 9 bucks for three. Took 3 deer with them so far. They work fine.
Fixed blades will never fly like points, that is bull. If you say your tuning your bowto get them tofly the same your actually detuning. A bow properly set up they will not fly the same.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Fixed blades will never fly like points, that is bull. If you say your tuning your bowto get them tofly the same your actually detuning. A bow properly set up they will not fly the same.
That's totally wrong.

I just tuned my bow yesterday (new arrows) and I'm putting my 125 grain fixed blade Satelites right in the middle of my 125 grain field points at 25 yards. If you know how to tune a bow, and you take the time, you can tune them to hit the same. And the reason I do this is because I HUNT with my bow. I hunt deer and turkeys and squirrels, possum and coyotes. So if I want to put judos on my arrows, I know they'll fly exactly the same and hit the same spot as my broadheads.

And I'm not knocking mechanicals; I'm just correcting wrong advice. I have a mechanical setup I use for turkey, since the cutting diameter is a little bigger, and IMO, they deliver more shock because they use some of the kinetic-energy to open. I also have an arrow stopper on it to make sure the arrow stays in the bird. And they hit the same place as my broadheads and field points (100-grain mechanicl, arrow stopper, 20-yard max shot)
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

your not tuning to get them to hit the same, your moving the rest and knock out of proper alignment to get them to fly the same.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

your moving the rest and knock out of proper alignment to get them to fly the same.
Yes, I am. That's the whole idea.That's tuning. What is proper alignment? When I have my field points and broadheads hitting in the same place, it's properly aligned.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to paper tune with points, broadheads wont fly the same. So now you start moving things around to get them to fly the same= detuning.
I would paper tune with broadheads and leave it alone, points and broadheads arent suppose to fly the same.
Or shoot mechanicals, best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to paper tune with points, broadheads wont fly the same. So now you start moving things around to get them to fly the same= detuning.

LOL!

Alright, whatever you say. I see I'm wastingmy time.

Ikillsdeer, Bradkoz gives a great answer I think. If something's sticking out off the broadhead (unlike a field point) there's gonna be some turbulance, drag,etc. But they'll be easier to get to fly well than fixed blades. You still have to tune your bow at least a little, so it's really up to you as to what heads you want to hunt with. There's pros and cons to both.

Good luck in whatever you come up with.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 PM

hey bowman, describe your "arrow stop" for turkey hunting, me and my friends are having the pass thru problem as well. one flew away and we tracked it for 500 yards before finding it. im interested in this idea, is it homemade or is it a product you by for the arrow? thnx
Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sent you a PM TEmbry. They're store-bought, but I got them years ago and don't know where to find them. I'm sure they're still around. An archery shop should be able to get them, if they don't have them in stock.