Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins? >

Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins?

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins?

I'm thinking of upgrading my sight from a Cobra Sidewinder 3 pin to something else. I know how many pins I want just not alignment. Anybody have the pro's and con's of vertical vs. horizontal pins?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins?

One has the pin post coming in from the side of the target, the other has the pin post running up through the center of the target. Neither pro nor con. It's personal preference. Choose your poison.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try pin gapping for say a 35 yard target when you have 30 and 40 yard pins with your vertical pins. Not much fun. I hate vertical pins.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree it is prefrence and Mine is horizontal I like to line the pin up with the deers body

Old 11-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Horizontal pins here as well.

While they say that vertical pins provide a better view IMHO they don't. With a vertical pin your target is covered both above and below while a horizontal pin only covers part of the target from either the right or the left (3 sides visible)
Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 AM

well i say neither. i love the looks of vital gears angled pins. The come in diagonally so they have the best of both worlds. field of view of vertical and gaps between the pins like horizontal pins. im gunna try the 3 pin triangular sight they have on my 06 trykon im getting this month. ill post back results. if they work half as good as they look ill be thrilled. they are pricey like the trophy ridge products tho.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Horizontal for me. I had a TR sight and took it off. When I had a target in bright sunlight and I was in deep shade I could not make out my 30 or 40 yd pins. It looked like a single pin sight and cost me a doe. She was at 35 yds and I had no idea where my pins were other than the 20. I now have a Montana Black Gold Dusk Devil. This is a great sight.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try pin gapping for say a 35 yard target when you have 30 and 40 yard pins with your vertical pins. Not much fun. I hate vertical pins.
Agreed. I'll repectfully disagree with Arthur here (may be a first...) and say there's a BIG difference. I had a Trophy Ridge Matrix and I sold it right away for the above reason.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Spike

trophy ridge for me the vertical pins are great for my shooting style.
I shoot both eyes open and the pins appear to float in space and I feel I get a much better view of the target
Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed. I'll repectfully disagree with Arthur here (may be a first...)
Well, nobody's perfect. [8D]

Frankly, even though I use sights pretty often, I prefer shooting with no sights at all. I can work up agap aimingsystem - using the tip of the arrow, the bow's shelf and various parts of the arrow rest in the sight window -that gives me a completely unobstructed view of the target and gives memore aiming references than any fixed pin sight can. I won't have the quite the same accuracy I get with a sight, but it's close... plenty good enough to put an arrow in the chest cavity honey hole at any reasonable hunting distance.

I mean really, shooting barebow is so simple that even Ted Nugent can even do it...

Quick Reply: Horizontal vs. Vertical Sight Pins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.