Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Binary Cam Timing? >

Binary Cam Timing?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Binary Cam Timing?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Binary Cam Timing?

I have a '05 Bowtech Defender. I recently replaced the strings and cables on it and it is shooting fine. The thing I noticed was that the cams are not in the same relation to the limbs as each other. I hope that made sense. One cam is slightly more rotated than the other. So with the cables attached to the cams and not the limbs, how do you correct this?

The cables were made by Gibblet so they are quality cables. I double checked them and they are the same length. I counted the number of twists and both have the same number. The tiller top and bottom measures the same.

This is just confusing me. I will post some pics when I get home tonight.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binary Cam Timing?

you cannot indicate whether cams are in sync with each other without the bow being at full draw
Old 10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the Defender have the timing dots on the side of the cam?

If the dots aren't the same you will have to do some twisting of the cables to get them there-if you want them the same.

It should shoot just fine if they are only off a little. I read on one forum (here?)that bowtech considered leaving the dots off the cam because they weren't that important.

I'd want them the same myself- that's just the way I am.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Does the Defender have the timing dots on the side of the cam?

If the dots aren't the same you will have to do some twisting of the cables to get them there-if you want them the same.

It should shoot just fine if they are only off a little. I read on one forum (here?)that bowtech considered leaving the dots off the cam because they weren't that important.

I'd want them the same myself- that's just the way I am.
they considered leaving the dots off because it is virtually impossible to check the timing on a dual cam set up unless it is at full draw period no matter who the manufacturer is.
companys have been putting marks on cams for years and every one of those marks are pretty much useless.
dont matter if the dots are dead nuf=ts in line with one another it could still be out of time.
I recomend taking it to a pro shop and have them set the timing on the bow.
i cant express enough that the bow must be at full draw in order to correctly check the cam timing.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the binaries mimicked each other since they weren't tied to the limbs so this wasn't near as much of a concern?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

still does not change the fact that the cams must be in time with one another to get optimal preformance out of the bow

most dual cams top to bottom aremirror images of one another excluding cam and 1/2 designs one look at a top and bottom cam.5 design it is obvious that one does not mirror the other I remember when the cam and 1/2 first came out people were saying that there were no timing issues with this system and this system could not come out of time which could NOT be farther from the truth although it is called a cam and 1/2 it is still a 2 cam ststem and requires the cams to be in time with each other in order for the set up to work properly as for any 2 cam system this simple principle does not exclude any new 2 cam designs that has recently hit the market.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way it was explained to me is that the binary design doesn't or won't go out of time because they are tied ONLY to each other and equal pressure basically keeps the binary cams in sync?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Steve:

There is a tool in my shop which I'm sure you've seen me use. It took me about 6 years to develop a good working unit that fits on a press. It performs 10 different bow test and adjustment functions with one of them being cam timing at full draw.

Apple Archery is manufacturing the tool right now and it should be available soon.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jsasker

The way it was explained to me is that the binary design doesn't or won't go out of time because they are tied ONLY to each other and equal pressure basically keeps the binary cams in sync?
It is a good system but it will still come out of timing dispite what any one says.

I have no doubt Len would have corrected me If I had been passing along incorect information
In fact I think he may have hinted around that the timing has to be checked at full draw

BTW Len I think that tool would be a nessessity for any one who shoots a 2 cam system.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is it true that the cams will stay in sync with one another,and still be out of time?

Quick Reply: Binary Cam Timing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.