Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw length ??????? >

Draw length ???????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length ???????

Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Draw length ???????

How many inches should you deduct from your draw length when using a mechanical release?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Draw length ???????

None.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that just depends on how you are shooting now. If you are shooting fingers and plan on changing to a release then about 3/4" to 1" shorter is the norm. However, being as most people shoot about 2" too long in the first place then read my next paragraph.

If you are just starting out then measure your wingspan and divide it by 2.5. This will get you closer than any other method. And get a bow that is adjustable till you have about 20 years of experience and know exactly what your draw length is.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

None.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

If you are just starting out then measure your wingspan and divide it by 2.5. This will get you closer than any other method. And get a bow that is adjustable till you have about 20 years of experience and know exactly what your draw length is.
In shorter draw lengths, the other wing span method often works better. That is subtract 15 from your wing span then divide by 2. This gives shorter DL's for archers with less than 30" DL.

Both methods have to be modified for body type. Wing span calculation gives me a 27" or 27.5" DL. However, I have a larger chest than most so I shoot most comfortably and accurately at 26.5".

After youset up by wing span calculations, get a photo of yourself from the side at full draw. The nock of your arrow should be directly below your eye.

If you shoot seriously and practice year round, you will probably change your DL, but by then you will understand how DL affects your shooting.

The best way for a beginner to get their DL properly set is to go to a good pro shop and let them do it.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

NONE!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

None. You just change how you anchor. You would have to grow extra inches in your arms to change draw length.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM

It just sems like whether using the wingspan method, or the bow tool at the shop, you are always measured as if you are a finger shooter. And it is obvious to me that a release "lengthens your arm" so reducing draw length a couple inches would be automatic.
Interesting responses. I have been shooting many years and have just this year shortened by draw length by 2 inches (28.5 to 26.5) I have a more comfortable anchor. My left arm is comfortably bent. And I can put the string on my nose for an anchor and finally see great through the rear peep.

I also am certain that I have drawn the bow back to max every time.

Try it sometime . . . you'll like it.

Course, I had to have my arrows shortened, which has changed the spline. But I think for the better.

All because I shortened draw length.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

whether you are a finger shooter oruse a releane does not change your draw length.

thething that you should be most concerned about is the string at the nocktouches the corner of your mouth and the string touching the side of your nose at the tip if these two elements aer correctthen it is irrelivent how far your hand goes back.

using a loop and release the nuckle will be pretty closely in line with the lobe of your ear
any body tells you different dont have a clue what they are talking about.the majority said Nope the majority is dead nuts right.