Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String Loop "Lubrication" Question >

String Loop "Lubrication" Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Loop "Lubrication" Question

Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default String Loop "Lubrication" Question

I have found out that if I keep myD-loop lubricated with graphite powder, that it resolves a problem with arrows going ~2"left at 20 yds after a few practice sessions. (I use a Wynn ss caliper release; I just startedusing a release 18 months ago after decades of using fingers(http://www.winnarchery.com/sscaliper.html). Ialso suspectoils from my fingersmay have caused/aggravated the problem;I have stoppedmyhabit of touching/working the release's jaws while idle onthe tree stand, yet I still have had to lube the D-loop recently.

Questions: I've never heard of "lubricating" D-loops, is this normal? Would PTFE be better than graphite? Should I just change out the D-loop? (I have about 5 months of heavy useon it, novisible signs of wear- do they have a recommended "life span")?Should I just live withlubricatingthe D-loop,since I resolved (-??)the leftitis issue (thought I was torquing the bow)?

Thanks in advance for any comments, guidance.

-fsh
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Loop "Lubrication" Question

I've never had a problem with my loop. That's weird that you should have to lube it in order to shoot dead on. Maybe your release is what needs a little lube. Sometimes, I'll get a little dust, rust and gunk buildup in mine and it sticks, but once I lube it, it comes of the loop cleanly. Wish I had a better answer for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Monie...it is weird that you have to lube your loop. Try lubing your release and see if you see any differences. Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thx for the thoughts. Well, I'vebeen puttingsome powdered graphite directly on the caliper face too in addition to applying it directlyto the D-loop. Since friction between the caliper face and the D-loop seemed to be the cause (??)of my "leftitis",it made sense to lubeboth surfaces. It's hard to do one without the other anyway. The caliper face that holds the D-loop has a nice bright shine to it since I've started using the graphite. I also have put some graphite into the working parts of the release mechanism at one time or another just as a matter of course.

It's not an easy problem to duplicate. But the last two times I hadmy arrows unexpectedly grouping ~2 inches to the left of a 3/4" dot at 20 yds, the leftitis went away immediately after I used the powdered graphite on the working surfaces.I know there may not bea cause-effect relationship, as I have been fooled too many times in the past by changing or doing something that had no real effect... thus my post to see ifanyone else has had this experience... BTW, I used the powdered graphite, hoping it should be odor free.

-fsh

Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM

HMMM !!!! never heard of that before. I know some releases are notdesigned for a loop but on the string its self. can cause excessive wear on the loop. But never heard it causing left or right movement on your arrow. good luck !!!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:54 PM
kop

Wynn makes a release just for loop shooters the wynn free flight loop hook release I have used this one for the last 3 years same glove style as the one you are using just has a hook instead of jaws and is much easier and faster to get on the D-loop much smoother release too the reason I know is I use to use the ss caliber release till they started making the loop hook. The only drawback too the loop hook is if you have to let your draw down do it straight and slow so the hook does'nt come off the loop not hard to do with a lttle practice.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

kop - thx, I have a Winn hook release now on order.
-fsh
Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 PM
kop

Glad I could help you will love this release and good luck this year.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a graphite and silicone impregnated wax called Black Lightning on my string loops. Can't say it does anything to change point of impact for my arrows, but the wax keeps the loop stiff for easy hookup and I figure the lubrication from the graphite and silicone can't hurt...