Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow length?

Old 11-14-2002, 12:45 AM

Default Arrow length?

How far should the arrow stickout infront of where it rests, on the tines of the arrow rest?

Shooting Mech heads.

Good judgment comes from years of bad judgment.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Arrow length?

Easton says one inch I was taught 1 1/2 inches so i guess it is your preference.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine stick out 1/2"... As long as they don't hit the rest prongs, don't really see any problems, depends on what you're trying to accomplish with arrow weights and foc, I suppose...

Old 11-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Like Range mentioned, it can depend on what you're trying to accomplish. The purpose for Easton stating 1" is a safety factor so that you don't draw too hard and too far into the wall (before so many cams had a really solid back wall) and have a chance of the arrow being drawn past the arrow rest, especially with a broadhead on. Then you would be in some trouble.

Old 11-14-2002, 03:18 PM
AK

I have 2 inches hanging off the front of my bow for a couple of reasons:

1) Arrow durability - The little bit of extra length neccessitates that I use a stiffer arrow. A stiffer arrow is a more durable arrow.

2) Heavier arrows - It is easier to find the heavier arrow weights that I prefer in a stiffer arrow than it is with weaker arrows.

3) Close range point of aim - Shooting "instinctively", the extra length on the arrow makes it easier to see the arrow in my periferal vision, particularly for close hunting distance shots.

4) Arrow Salvage - Finally (an this is a minor point), if an arrow breaks off right behind the point (most common break with wooden arrows at least), I can retaper the broken end of the shaft and still have enough length to use it for stumpshooting or squirrel hunting.

Old 11-17-2002, 02:07 AM

Mine are cut the same as my draw length so only the tip extends out past the risor. That's for when I shoot with sights, release aid and two-prong arrow rest. When I shoot with fingers instinctive with a shelf style arrow rest, I like to have at least 1 inch of shaft extending out past the risor. But I wouldn't want any more than 2 inches.

Nic
Old 11-18-2002, 04:07 PM

I have mine about 2.5 inches past the rest I'm shooting 30 inch 2216s my draw length is 27 -27.5. I'm thinking of going to 2213s at 28-28.5. Durability concerns me but, My main concern is accuracy. I would't mind picking up a little speed just so I can tighten up my pin gap a little I would like to have a 50 yd. pin I just don't have room right now.