Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Up poundage, new arrows??? >

Up poundage, new arrows???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Up poundage, new arrows???

Old 09-22-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Up poundage, new arrows???

Wasup Archery Compads,
Ive shot 2 pigs and 1 goat and have had no pass throughs . I dont know my Martins draw weight, I need to find out I know , but my set up is dialed in .
If I crank up the weight on the limbs a little< mark them first> how much could that increased weight effect my arrows ?? Do you all thinkthe arrows would have a chance ???
Basic dual hard cam martin bow , 2216 aluminum arrows, 27 3/4 inch arrows , finger release , and est 65 pound draw weight.
Any cheap scales one can use to measure draw weight??? No archery shop here[:@]
Thanks to all for all your help and possitive thought
Old 09-23-2006, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Up poundage, new arrows???

One full turn on the limb bolts is about 3 pounds. Personally, your set up isn't the cause of non pass throughs. Just circumstances. Your shooting plenty of energy. Those hogs are tough.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks Mobowhuntr
Old 09-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

mo ya beat me to it but if you did increase the poundage it prolly wouldnt hurt the arrows as long as it isnt a dramatic increase
Old 09-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

paka, I also shoot fingers and it sounds like you may need to fine tune you set up not increase weight. You have a matched set up and plenty of kinetic energy and speed. Any wobble or disturbance in arrow flight will reduce energy on impact with your target. The arrow must come off the rest clean with no up down or side to side movement. When releasing the string with a tab or glove there is a side kickon the string. This means that when your arrow reaches the WB it is impacting the side of the rest and interfering with flight of the arrow. My suggestion: trash the WB and shoot a magnetic rest with a cushion plunger then bareshaft tune your arrows and you will not only increase penetration, but also speed and accuracy.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanks Sniper151, Will check it out
Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Doesn't matter if your bow is 45 pounds or 80, if you hit a major bone, your not likely to get a complete passthrough. Miss all major bones and even a 30 pound bow will easily pass through the rib cage of a goat. Pigs on the other hand can have a shield or pad that really makes it difficult to get a complete pass through. I wouldn't increase your poundage