Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

arrows/speed /poundage

Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 AM
pup

Default arrows/speed /poundage

right now i am shooting easton redlines 460s 60 pounds(the max i can shoot in the youth class) im getting 284 fps out of my pro 40 dually my relines i think have 80grn tips so they are weighing in at about 310 or 315 my question how can i get a little more speed out of my setup and stikk keep below 60 pounds and above 5 grns per inch should i just stick with the arrows i have? i was thinking about getting some light speeds but will they be to lite for me to leagly shoot in the ibo? i have been kinda interested in the fatboys
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arrows/speed /poundage

make sure your bow is tuned,timed and even tillerd
if you have any thing that is not needed on your string get rid of it! string leaches.. 5fps limb savers about 2-3fps
Old 02-13-2004, 10:33 AM

Don't worry too much about speed. Like Bartman said, make sure your bow is tuned with the arrows your using now. Besides, if you pick up more speed the bow tends to be less forgiving. My "magic speed" is 280fps. Hope I've helped some. Hope its warm and dry where you are.

In Christ,

Joel Chavez
Old 02-14-2004, 02:32 PM
pup

thanks for the reply guys, tell me what you all think of this ideah my neighbor who shoots like 54 pounds with only a 25 in draw is shooting some size cxl's and is getting almost the same speed as me. would i be better of droping my poundage down and getting a liter arrow? that way im holding less poundage? im just wanting to make sure im shooting my setup at its best performance.
shooterforchrist i wish it was wamr and dry here and i love your name
Old 02-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

For indoors a lighter arrow will be o.k. Put that lighter arrow in the wind and watch it wiggle. At the speeds that you are shooting, I think that you will be just fine. I try to spend most of my time practicing yardage judgement. If you know the yardage it doesn't matter what speed that you are shooting. I would much rather have a more shootable bow than I would a barn burner with the occasional flyer. Your game is gonna be won between 25-35 yards. The difference will not be that much for drop unless you gain around 10 fps. Which means that you will need to go to about a 50 grn. lighter arrow. Don't expect a whole lot of difference in the 25-35 yard range with that. It will show up on your longer yardages. I personally would not want to sacrafice the occasional flyer at my important ranges to gain on the fewer longer shots. I am now currently shooting at 279 fps with a 423 grn. arrow. I have obtained up to 308 with my bow but won't ever think of shooting that fast for tournament use. Super tune your bow, concentrate on the shot, and know your yardage, you will do just fine.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:07 PM
pup

THANKS for the help guys yeah i was thinking that 280 ish was a good speed so im just gonna try to keep her around that. so what do you guys think is the best carbon arrow choice? am i better of with a skinny arrow or somethign thats gonna cut a few more lines?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

GOLDTIPS 22 ULTRALIGHTS PRO
22/64 OD or .338"
ID .300"
7.3gr per inch
They are the best!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 06:51 PM
pup

i have been hearing about those gold tips but is there anyways i could put uni nocks on them? i dont like the goldtip nocks
Old 02-14-2004, 07:36 PM

yes, you can put speed nock on the gold tips. I shoot the gold tips 55/75 with white speed nocks and they fly just fine. Will have to agree with the other posts here, tune your bow and arrow combo and practice,practice practice your range judging. You will be just fine if you do.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

yes if you can find some uni bushing with a .300 OD I dont know what size arrow that is?

Quick Reply: arrows/speed /poundage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.