Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fore Arm Slap

Old 09-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Fore Arm Slap

Oh, and an STS will not solve your problem. It might treat the symptoms but it won't cure the problem. It might keep the string from hitting your arm, but you will still either have bad form, too long of a draw or both.

Paul
Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 AM

I agree i would try using an STS. They are $40, but well worth the money. They stop your string from forward movement after the shot. Try this and see if it works for you.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

it only takes one good slap to ruin your day. if you enjoy shooting your bow then certainly working on your form might help. other technical things may be wrong but if im not perfect on my form one out of 20 or 30 shots the sts bails me out as well as the other benefits like less hand shock and more consistant groups. i would definately have someone look at your form though.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Spike

I had that problem for years and wore an arm guard. Then a guy said I could easily correct that with a change in hand grip position. I had big forearm muscles at the time too.

Any change takes a bit of time to get used to, but I love it now. Simply roll your hand more outward, with the riser resting only on the thumb muscle (drumstick) of the palm. That's natural for me now and I never getclose to my arm. If the grip of the riser rests at all on your palm accross the line from your thumb muscle, that's too far. Also makes it very hard to apply torque. Just my opinion but it worked for me. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give this a try hold your arm ouut in front of you palm down and then turn the wrist up but keep the forearm in the same position it will seem a little strange at first but it has worked for a lot of people. Even if you cant shoot like that just try it and see if you are moving your entire arm when you turn your wrist.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: royak

Give this a try hold your arm ouut in front of you palm down and then turn the wrist up but keep the forearm in the same position it will seem a little strange at first but it has worked for a lot of people. Even if you cant shoot like that just try it and see if you are moving your entire arm when you turn your wrist.
I tried this, but I can't turn my wrist without turning my entire arm.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then that is part of your problem keep trying to turn just your wrist it is hard at first but it will work
Old 09-24-2006, 05:07 PM

Put your arm out palm down with your thumb out. Raise your wrist up, then put the grip in your hand so it rests on the bottom of your thumb. Don't bother trying to turn your wrist and not your arm. This is not natural and will be uncomfortable. The point is to be as relaxed as possible at full draw. If you try contorting yourself into some odd position you will get tired very fast. Plus it will be hard to do consistantly from shot to shot. This is the absolute most important thing in accurate archery. You can have any form you wish as long as you can repeat it perfectly from shot to shot. So the easier it is to do the better.

You may have to rotate your hand and arm slightly to get it right, this would put your knuckles at a 45 degree angle like I described before.

If you want an STS get one, but please don't get one to solve this problem. I have owned about 6 compound bows, some with very little brace height, I have never had one hit my arm. I have had them hit my clothes if I am wearing something bulky, but never struck my bare arm or hurt myself. If you hit yourself in the arm consistantly while shooting you have a serious form or set up issue that needs to be taken care of.

Paul
Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes definately a form issue ,try this , Just something I haven't seen anyone else mention which I've learned in the past . Don't stand so square to your bow ,slightly turn your feet and shoulders facing your target a bit as well as trying to rortate the palm of your hand out. It will help get your arm away form the string.
I learned this the hard way LOL

I have a pic of a friend incorporating this and I'll send it to you if you send me your e-mail addy.

[email protected]

nubo
Old 09-26-2006, 06:47 AM

Been having the same problem sometimes so I know I am being inconsistent and I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is sts?

Quick Reply: Fore Arm Slap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.