HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Fore Arm Slap (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/157463-fore-arm-slap.html)

pastorkhris 09-22-2006 10:30 PM

Fore Arm Slap

I am 6 foot tall and shoot with a 28 1/2 inch draw with a string loop. Here is my question - I slap my forearm with every shot! Now most of them are just a brushing (but some have left bruises).

I can't believe that my draw is too long (kisser button to the corner of my mouth - fletchingtouching my chin). I try to drop my elbow slightly down and away from the bow at full draw, but I still get slapped.

Any suggestions or clues to why I keep hitting my arm - I am concerned for when I have to start adding layers of clothes, and because I wonder if this means there is some other problem with my form or bow set-up with which I should be concerned.

Granby 09-22-2006 11:24 PM

RE: Fore Arm Slap

pastorkhris,

when i was little my dad told me to roll my elbow out, instead of dropping it down, this will cause a slight bend in your arm. i have been shooting like this ever since and havenever had a problem with string slap.

hope it helps,

granby

Chupacabras 09-23-2006 07:10 AM

Try a front mount sts for your hoyt. You could open your stance a little and grip your bow with your hand at 45 degrees .

The Rev 09-23-2006 07:42 AM

it's definitely bad form or you wouldn't be popping yourself.

Oneshot7 09-23-2006 08:07 AM

as rev said bad form

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-23-2006 09:44 AM

Agreed, bad form on your bow arm. You either have it too straight, or your rolling your wrist left/ right hand shooter right?

Posting a picture at full draw will get you, your best critic.....if you can handle the criticism..LOL

GGBH 09-23-2006 12:04 PM

Most arm slap is caused by bad form unless you have one of those arms that looks like it should be on the other side of your body
The first place I would look is your grip. You should hold the bow with as little of the heel (pinky side of the lifeline) of the handtouching the bow as possible. Heeling the bow causes a lot of torque and when you release, the bow twists in your hand and the string smacks your forearm. There may be other causes too. Get someone who is a good shot towatch you shoot and check out your form. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. There are a lot of guys on here who would be glad to help you
. Ive been shooting for 46 years and I still ask for help.
Good luck

GGBH

liquidorange 09-23-2006 12:39 PM

the sts did wonders for me too.

bigcountry 09-23-2006 12:53 PM

I can easily rool my elbow from down to the left. But I have met some that can not. They have this strange elbow (to me), that breaks over.

Paul L Mohr 09-23-2006 02:23 PM

If your draw length is not too long, and we can't verify that without a picture, it could very well be your grip. I would bet you are setting it in your hand too deep. You might be gripping it like you would a pistol, this is not correct for a bow.

Hold your hand out and point it like you are making gun. Index finger out and thumb up. When you go to set your grip on the bow it should be on the outer edge of your hand, like on the pad of your thumb, to the right side of your life line in your hand. Set it so the knuckles on your hand are at a 45 degree angle to the risor. I often keep my fingers curled into my hand when setting my grip, then open them up and let them lay on the grip. You should not actually grip or hold on to the bow at full draw. Just let your fingers relax and fall where ever.

I bet your hand is more straight up and down now causing your elbow to turn in a tad. Setting your grip at a 45 degree angle or better will roll your arm out away from the string. Also using a slightly bent bow arm will help with this as well. Your bow arm should not be fully extended and locked

If you have the means post a picture of you at full draw from a few different angles and it will give us a better idea. Someone can propably get you going from there. I most likely won't be around by then, but there are plenty of others that can help you out and know what I am trying to say.

Paul