Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Books on Setup & Tuning >

Books on Setup & Tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Books on Setup & Tuning

Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Books on Setup & Tuning

Did a search and only got a couple of hits which didn't pan out. Can any of you recommend a good "step by step" book(s) on how to setup and tune compounds (especially the newer technology)... and also a book that includes information on choosing the right arrows & components and how to build your own? I want to try to become almost independent of my pro-shop and only use them when necessary.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Books on Setup & Tuning

Download Easton's tuning guide. Very, very good information.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Read some on the subject, but haven't found one that fits the bill. If I need something I get it off the net. It's like a big book and it's updated regularly.

I have for some time wished and complained that bow manufactures didn't put something together on their particular bows. Haven't seen bowtechs manual, but have heard it referenced and it sounds closer to what I would like to see. Hoyts is just pathetic if you ask me. It would also be great if they were updated with TSB's like other industries. I tried once to get Hoyt to just confirm some technical info, nothing but grief. You can't even email them although they sent me one the other day. Tried to reply to it but "no can do" was the response.[:@]I'll keep plugging away.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM

mobow... that's exactly what I need to get started... already downloaded... thanks.

nodog... you are 100% right... you would think they would provide something specific to their bows like the download mobow pointed me to.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's a pretty decent DVD out by a guy named LeEarl over on Archery Talk. I think he sells it for around $12, and it's loaded with great hands-on demonstrations on setting up a bow and tuning. I think there were about five pages of feedback from buyers basically saying that it was the best $12 they'd spent on learning tuno info.

Go to the search engine and type in "LeEarl" and "tuning"...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Easton Tuning Guide is pretty good. From basics up to ultra-fine tuning. It covers most stuff. And in English.

As for manufacturers putting out data, a lot of them have technical data such as A2A and brace height, cam settings. This should be enough get bows to specs.

As for tuning, it's not necessary. Tuning is tuning and the process is pretty much the same for all bows, whether they are the "latest and greatest" or 30 years old. Your goal is still matching the bow/arrow combination to your shooting form. It's pretty basic stuff. Oh, there's always little things that matter, but the way technology changes and bows change it's a constant learning process. Once you have the basics you're set to go.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought so until (and I am responding to you this time BG) until I saw some very good technical info providedby a guy named Javi over at A.T. on cam and a halves. Very specific to Hoyts. That is the kind of stuff I would like tosee in a publication.It however kind of debunks their claim that they can be out of time which they received not all that well.I didn't care what it said about the bow. Just wanted to know if they approved of the procedure. Never got an answer, just grief.[:@]
Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see what you're getting at, nodog. Know what? For as easy as bows are to shoot these days, they sure know how to make them technical enough that it's almost takes an Engineering degree to understand them.

Personally that's just one of the other reasons I like the good, old, tried and true dual cam bow. I pretty much had my fill of all the bullcrap about level nock travel, optimum timing and all the other garbage. Then along comes the Hybrid cam syndrome and makes it even worse.

I know this stuff isn't real rocket science, but average Joe can't get it. I get it. I just don't want to deal with it.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I know this stuff isn't real rocket science, but average Joe can't get it. I get it. I just don't want to deal with it.
Maybe so, but the tinker'r in you would eat it up with a spoon (again, I know you did.Your just that kind.)if things like this were put in a publication. Until then it's bits and pieces, here and there.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure does seem to be a void a guy with a couple or 3 decades of experience could fill with a good hands on book on the subject. Yes sir e. Yep sure would do well. Maybe someone will get the hint I mean idea to do it.

Quick Reply: Books on Setup & Tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.