Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning new bow help >

Tuning new bow help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning new bow help

Old 08-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Tuning new bow help

I recently bought my son a new bow ( Diamond Rapture Lite ) from a big box store. The people at the store "set-up" the bow with a rest, sight, sling, peep, kisser stabilizer quiver and arrows. When I got the bow home it would'nt hit a Block target at under ten yards. Now I am going to have to tune it myself I guess. I have not done this before and am not sure where to start. Does anyone out there know of a good site with step by step instructions on how to go about tuning the bow?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Tuning new bow help

Easton has a good tuningguide on their site. www.eastonarchery.com
The solution may be as easy as adjusting your sight. Follow the arrow with your pin. Hitting low left, move the sight lower, and to the left.
For what it's worth. As you get closer to the target you may actually need to aim high. It's a ballistics thing related to arrow flight.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Tuning new bow help

If he is a new archer my advice is to set the center shot, check for fletch clearance and estimate the nock level. Then like Phil said just set the sights and shoot. I wouldn't bother fine tuning until he can shoot better. Many spend much to much time trying tune (to no avail sometimes) when they should be concentrating on form, follow thru and release. You can only tune as well as you can shoot.

Target points are plenty forgiving so you don't need a perfect tune to group them well at 20-30 yards.

Once he begins to shoot consistantly then try to fine tune the bow. Think about it, there are guys that shoot amazingly well with wooden arrows, off the shelf (no rest) and no sights. Sometimes we make this game overly technical and doom ourselves before we even start.

Paul