HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you could choose...
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default If you could choose...

OK guys, I'm looking for your input. If you could choose between the Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket and the Beman Black Max Elite MFX, which would you? Why?

I didn't include other carbon shafts such as the Easton Axis or Epic because it appears that the Black Max Elite MFX has just about the best tolerances that I can find when it comes to all-carbon construction.

I didn't include the A/C Superslims because it appears the Full Metal Jacket is being touted as Easton's top offering.

So... I guess I'm trying to decide betwen a composite in the Axis FMJ and the all-carbon construction. Here's my preliminary thoughts:

I would think that spine tolerances would be better with the Axis, and I would possibly experienc easier extraction out of 3-D targets...

The Axis shafts actually only have a guaranteed straightness of +/- .003, while the Bemans are .001; that's actually surprising to me. I would think the addition of the aluminum would help enhance its straightness, for some reason.

I would also think the Axis shafts would be susceptible to bending. I know the "it's either straight or broken" theory is somewhat of a fallacy (thanks to reading some of Len's postings), but for the most part, I do like the fact that I can't "bend" the Beman like I can the Axis...

Any other thoughts? Experiences? Criteria or points of consideration that I'm missing?