Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Another tuning question! >

Another tuning question!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another tuning question!

Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Another tuning question!

I'm kinda new to bow hunting and i have a question about broad head tuning. I've read on some forums about it but I'm still confused. My FP group very well at 10 - 35 yds. My fixed blade BH also group very well 10 - 35 yds, just about 5" low and 5" to the left. Is there any way i can get the BH closer to the FP? I target shot alot and it would be a pain to adjust my BH during the hunting season every time i hunt. I'm also considering a expandable head if i cant solve thisproblem and wouldn't mind someopinionson this subject also. thanks for any advice!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Another tuning question!

Your rig isn't perfectly in tune. Something is wrong, and I think maybe you are overspined. ( I always get that confused, is left overspined, or under?)

Anyway, do some paper tuning. I suspect something just isn't quite right. But, if your BH's are grouping well, you could just adjust your sights.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 PM

I did a bare shaft tune from 10 - 35yds and i was pleased. Arrows were grouping good together and almost at the same angle. I followed that with paper tuning. I had a tear to the left, so i think the easton guide said move my rest to the left? I did that as much as i could (ran out of adjustment)but it still tears to the left.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Yeah, sounds like your head is either too heavy or too light...Sorry, I can just never remember which.....I think it's too heavy. Maybe try a lighter point and see if that don't take care of it.

What's your set up? What size arrows, draw weight and length, point weight?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM

I have a Diamond Triumph 60# with a 29 1/2" draw lenght. My arrows are Cabela'sSST 230 with a 100 grn tip.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 PM

Sounds like the right set up. Try a 75gr. field point and see what that does to the left tear......After that, I'm just not sure.......
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

edit, yes left is stiff for right handed. I had spent the last 45 minutes tuning my uncles lefty bow when i posted this. my mistake
Old 08-11-2006, 01:33 AM

It depends on whether you shoot right handed or lefty. The Easton chart says if your BH's are hitting left of your field points that you are having stiff spine reaction. To correct this you{ this is for righties }
1} Increase bow poundage
2} Increase BH weight
3} Decrease tension in cushion plunger
4} Move the arrow rest or cushion plunger in TOWARDS the bow. Make adjustments 1/32" at a time.

I just started learning the tuning guide last year and I am no expert by any meansbut it sounds like you are using the paper tuning method of moving your rest to the left to correct a left miss, when you actually should be using the broadhead tuning which says to move your rest to the right to correct a left miss.
I hope I'm not steering you wrong or confusing you. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:38 AM

Just to confirm, left is stiff. In this case you need a heavier tip. It might be that your center-shot and nock height are simply not adjusted perfectly. You could confirm this with a bit of paper tuning. You can try some bareshaft tuning to check spine, and walk-back tuning to check center-shot. If these prove to be correct, then I'd adjust my sight for the broadheads and only shoot those until hunting season is over.

Some bows have such poor nock travel, that even when tuned properly, the broadheads group away from the field tips, but usually not that far away unless that is from quite a distance from the target.

Quick Reply: Another tuning question!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.