Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Spine and Tiller...sounds like a comedy team! >

Spine and Tiller...sounds like a comedy team!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spine and Tiller...sounds like a comedy team!

Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Spine and Tiller...sounds like a comedy team!

I have two questions:

1) I have a 70#, 29" draw Reflex Caribou and I am wondering how far one may go in lowering draw weight. I realize that tuning problems may arise from greatly lowering draw weight below the bow's rated poundage, but how does one determine what is safe?

2) Most charts available for arrow selection no longer have wheels as an option, rather they have only hard or medium cams. Can I safely assume that I can err on the side of lighter spine weight when selecting arrows since wheels have a more gentle "loading" of the arrow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM

Default RE: Spine and Tiller...sounds like a comedy team!

<bump>
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Generally I feel safe taking any bow down about 13 lbs. If I can see the bottom of the bolt I will take one down more than that. If in doubt press the bow, take the bolt all of the way out, put it in three turns and that is as low as I would take that particular bow.

Yes you should be able to error on the light side of the spine range for a medium cam. Take a look at bareshaft tuning to help select a shaft size/lenght.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usealy 3 turns out on your reflex . Martin and some others , Id feel safe at 4 turns out .

If I were you Id try and eror on the stiff side of spine instead of week , you'll have much better results when shooting fixed broadheads .
Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ewolf

Yes you should be able to error on the light side of the spine range for a medium cam. Take a look at bareshaft tuning to help select a shaft size/lenght.
Are there any charts/reference materials out there to help me pick the correct arrow?

Easton's chart points me to a 340(29" arrow, 125 grain point)...predicated on medium cams not wheels...Do you think that I could get away with shooting a 400 spined arrow with wheels and 65% let-off?

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hal,

Take a look at the Easton chart for target arrows and medium cam. This should put you closer to the spine you can shoot.

Round wheel or medium cam, I still would not shoot a 400 spine at 70#. If you err with carbon arrows do it on the stiff side. They'll be more forgiving.