Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Good target bow

Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Good target bow

im currently looking into some target bows and was wanting yalls feedback
Looked at ross but closest dealer is 80 miles away and with gas at $3 i dont think it wil be happening, and for me the mathews is a little expensive.
So that leaves me with hoyt and bowtech, what models would work best for both spots and 3D and what is their price range on avg.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Good target bow

Honestly, the one you are shooting now gets the job done quite nicely.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

well the one i will be shooting mo that dang thing is still in the shop good thing i have my last years bow i really need my xt back proto but my shop owner just got the parts in this past saturday
Old 08-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

With respect to the Hoyt line, probably the best hands down, no holds barred spot bow is the ProElite with XT3000 limbs. With an 8+" brace height and it's long ATA (~41") it is a serious tack driver. That being said it is mucho expensive. I think the current price for a new one is around $1000

The UltraElite would be my next choice down. Similar design as the ProElite with the shoot through riser but with a slightly reflexed geometry. Still in the $1000 range.

From there I would look at the ProTec. This bow has the same geometry as the ProElite, but without the shoot through riser. They are great shooting bows. Faster than you would think, certainly fast enough for 3D with the tack driving accuracy for spots.

Then on to the Ultratec. Once again, same geometry as the UltraElite, but without the shoot through riser.

I think the going price for the ProTec and UltraTec are in the $750+ range.

One thing to seriously consider is the limb choice. The bows normally come through with the XT2000 limbs and are in the 37 1/2" ATA range. For a spot bow I would go for the XT3000 limbs which are a bit longer and more forgiving and as mentioned above, but the bow in the 41" ATA range.

Another consideration is the cam choice. If you are not 100% certain beyond a shadow of a doubt what your draw length is (i.e. You have had a coach look at your form, NOT the guy at the shop saying "Your draw looks fine", unless he is a spot shooter as well) go for the cam and a half. They have a 2 1/2" draw length adjustment and will give you the ability to fine tune your draw. If you are 100% certain, then I am a big fan of the spiral cams. They are a pretty aggressive cam, however at the weight you use when shooting spots, they feel very smooth.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 PM

As far as a specific bow you need to shoot each one and see which one feels the best. I would say for all around do everything bow these specs. Axleto axle no less than 36" Brace height7-71/2". The rest I would just go with what feels the best. Good luck
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 PM

i almost lost my cookies looking at a fellow's ultra elite last weekend - we all did
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM

thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate it
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I'm biased but my choice for a target bow to recommend to someone elsewould be the Merlin XT.
I love my Bowman targetbows but doubt many would want to spend $1,100.00 to $1,250.00 for one.
The Merlin XT has great finish, components, and superb limbs.
Check out their site for a dealer in your area.
www.merlin-bows.co.uk

Sag.