Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 perfectly tuned bows >

perfectly tuned bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

perfectly tuned bows

Old 07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default perfectly tuned bows

How do you know that your bow is or is not perfectly tunned. I have paper tunned it and it shoot bullet holes but is there any other way to tell. I ask because i have some arrows that fly a little crazy, they still hit very close to where i wont them to but looks like they kick at first. I am also hitting the same with broadheads and field points with most arrows. thanks for the help and info.
Mac
Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 PM

Default RE: perfectly tuned bows

If you are shooting bullet holes, you're in tune. The most likely culprit is bow torque. Loosen up the grip a bit.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

it could be your arrow shoot a group the arrow that dont fly right make a small mark on it where yo wont see it and shoot a group again if it does it again you will know is that arrow that need attention
Old 07-27-2006, 08:27 PM

I'm sorry, but just because you're shooting bullet holes does NOT mean you're properly tuned. Form errors can sometimes compensate for incorrect centershot, arrow inconsistency, and arrow spine.

You're also not properly tuned if you're only tuning at one distance. And once you get it properly paper tuned, there are other steps that will enhance your tuning.

Proper tuning is best defined as a "Tuning Trilogy": Tune the bow, tune the arrow and tune the archer. Unless you have all three in synch, you don't have a tuned system. I did a seminar on this subject a few years ago and they published it in one of the trade journals.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like your bow is tuned correctly. Sometimes I think we all wounder about our bows being tuned. If you are shooting groups like you say and are happy with them not mess with it. The one arrow shooting off could have something wrong with it. Mark it and shoot it a few times if it does not shot like the rest get ride of it.
GOOD HUNTING.......
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len said it.

When it happens you'll know it. You'll know then when you aren't.

I am down to just a few shafts myself and have been shooting broadheads lately. One arrow just will not fly right regardless of what I do with it, The other @ 30 will just about drill the same hole every time. You could also have a bad shaft.

I prefer goup tuning myself. Calls for putting a level line across the target and shooting some good shafts at the line from 15,20,25 yrds. Adjusting the nock hieght untill they all hit the line (then going to the next distance and doing it again). After that I do a verticle line from 20,25,30,35,40 with the same shaft adjusting the center shot until the drop right down the line using the same pin for all shots. Takes days and the weather has to be right. I do have a rest that's micro, micro adjustable. A huge help.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think a great way to test tuning is to bare shaft tune... Thats how i knew i was shooting good. when my bare shafts group w/ my fletched shafts
Old 07-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Len said , and a guess that you may have fletch contact on some arrows , if it is the same arrows that allways fishtail , if they are random , bow toqure is another suspect .
Old 07-28-2006, 08:24 AM

I have a question about this site. Why can we not copy and paste text into the message boxes anymore? This is the only site I go to that does this. I typed a fairly lengthy response this question and when I went to post it it timed out and didn't post for some reason. And unfortunately there is no way to save the text and paste it back into a new message box and post it on the forum. My only choice is to re type the whole thing, but to be honest I can't remember everything I typed, nor do I feel like typing all of it over again. This has happened a few times to me lately and I am getting pretty anoyed with it. I would actually prefer to type longer posts in WORD and then paste them here, but that is not an option any more either.

Am I the only one that has this problem? Is there a way to fix it? I may quit posting if I can't find a way around this.

Paul
Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

As IJimmy mentioned, Len really knows his stuff. When the thread was called perfectly tuned bows, I thought he might reply. Anywho, your bow sounds like it is at least close to a good tune, if not there. I suspect that your arrows that don't seem to be flying right are due to 1) a rough release or torque, 2) poor nock alignment or a damaged nock, 3) fletch contact. In any case, if it only happens with some arrows, and not the others, then you can't tune it out with rest adjustments, etc. It is an arrow problem most likely.

Quick Reply: perfectly tuned bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.