Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
IL-cornfed, some GKF Shoot Out questions... >

IL-cornfed, some GKF Shoot Out questions...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

IL-cornfed, some GKF Shoot Out questions...

Old 11-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default IL-cornfed, some GKF Shoot Out questions...

I read your review on the review forum, and have some questions, but thought you'd see them quicker here.

What kind of arrows are you flinging through it?

What kind/size of fletching?

How many shots do you think it took to quiet the launcher tips?

Do you have to do anything to adjust the spring tension once you adjust them to fit your arrow?

What kind of groups are you getting with your bullet hole tune job?

Do you have yours set up to load from the side or top? Do you see any advantage of one over the other?

When installed, do you have the launchers just behind the bow shelf, or back a little to give a slight overdraw effect?

I have to go pick up my ACCs this Wednesday that were supposed to be ready last Friday, just called the shop, they have one in stock for $42... Perhaps the arrows not being ready was a blessing in disguise?

Old 11-04-2002, 02:28 PM

Default RE: IL-cornfed, some GKF Shoot Out questions...

I can help you out some with this. I also have been testing the Shoot Out and was really shocked at how well it worked.

I have found that you can get a helical 4" fletch to shoot great out of it with Easton ACC 3-60 shafts. I tested with both the AAE & Duravanes.

I found that it takes a few shots to get the teflon worked in but if you want to get the best noise reduction use some fleece mole hair on it.

group wise i am getting good groups 2-3" at 20 yards, not as tight as I can get with the Golden Premier or Mirage.

Mine is set up to load from the side & it works fine that way - I tried it from the top too but saw no change in performance.

Mine is setup as close to the riser as I can get.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:30 PM

oh yea here is a nice review on the shoot out rest http://www.fastestbows.com/gk_shootout.htm
Old 11-04-2002, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moonge, what do you think it was about the rest that prevented you from getting tighter groups? Did you mess with the tuning quite a bit, or did you go back to one of the other rests you mentioned?

Old 11-04-2002, 09:02 PM

Rangeball - really the rest can shoot as good as you can. As a;ways different rests and arrow combos shoot better. I found with the shootout it liked a bit heavier point weight than some of my other rests did. Not sure why but I assume it had something to do with the way the arrow is extruded through the rest, I found 125 grain to be about perfect. I simply didn't fine tune it the way that I normally do with my rests. I wanted to try it out & was thinking of setting it up for my son. I myself have been a loyal Golden Premier shooter & it's hard for me to change for long! I do really like the Shoot Out. In the end I ended up leaving it on my FX and plan on using it this winter when it gets really cold so I don't have to worry abut my arrow moving at all. I am about to fine tune it and expect no problems. I am moving up to a 125 grain head and expect that should tighten my groups up.

I have found that fine tuning your tip weight you can really get your groups tight. I simply didn't mess with it as much.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it does.... Thanks

Old 11-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball,

I tried to answer your questions in order.

I'm shooting CX 3D Select 200s thru it.

I'm using AAE Plastifletch Elite 4" (3.8) vanes with a hard helical (the arrows I had set-up for my Mirage fall away).

It seemed like one day of messin' around with it had made it quieter, so not that many shots for break in.

I'm getting arrow scrapers @ 20 yards and good 3" groups @ 30. The day I tried 40 yards it was terribly windy and I was still getting consistent kill zone groups in the McKenzie.(I'm no 3D pro)

No you do not have to do anything to the spring- adjustment, tension, etc.

I have mine set-up for side load. Don't think it would make the slightest difference , I just like the way its set now.

I guess I have about a 1" overdraw effect right now.

You really should take a look at this exciting updated rest. It IS a performer.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:16 PM

Keep in mind that unlike other enclosed rest, if you are using straight or offset fletching, you will have NO problems getting fletching clearence.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM

You are Correct ...The SHOOTOUTS Lock and Load Arrow Holding Feature is Superb and done without Loss of Speed ,Wrinkled Fletching plus
Whisper Quiet!This Rest is so Easy to set up.
It is far Superior to other containment Rests.
GKF Tech
Old 11-07-2002, 09:24 AM
CG

I've messed with both the Whisker bisquit and the GK Shootout extensively and must say that both are effective in what they are trying to do but I definately can say one is NOT superior to the other. I'd at the very least call it a tie and give the edge in ease of tuning to the Whisker bisquit. However the shoot-out was not by any means difficult to tune.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"