Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 confused about vane clearance >

confused about vane clearance

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

confused about vane clearance

Old 09-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Default confused about vane clearance

Heres the problem, Im thinkng about switching to feathers, mostly because no matter what I do I cant seem to get my vanes to completely clear my rest. I bought a new AR-34 this spring and put a Trophy Taker on it and my vanes were hitting terribly. When I moved the rest or nock point until it cleared it tore through the paper bad high and flew awful. So I took it off and put a Muzzy Zero Effect and have the bow shooting perfect, some of the best flight Ive ever gotten and a perfect bullet hole through paper. But after a couple months my odd vane on my arrows are showing signs of barely hitting. Ive been shooting my broadheads all week all the way out to 60 yds and the hit exactly with my feild points and Im grouping about 4 inches at 60, pretty good. Should I be worried about the tiny bit that my vanes are hitting or just shoot it that way, like I said it shoots perfect. Am I just worrying about nothing?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:31 PM

Default RE: confused about vane clearance

If you' re grouping 4" at 60 yards, and broadheads are hitting the same as field points, leave it alone.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:35 PM

I agree - if you are that tight at 60yards and BH/FP are hitting the same spot, i' d say you are good to go.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it' s doing like you say....DON' T TOUCH IT!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:34 PM

Which position is your index vane? Straight up, straight down, or out to the side?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

AKDOUG might be on to something. If you cock vane is down or to the side try turning it to the up position. That would increase clearance for you.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:53 PM

The cock vane is pointed down, but with the way the arm on the Muzzy curves up on each side I cant point the vane up because I have two vanes hitting the rest. The center of the rest where the arrow sits has a notch about a quarter inch deep that the cock goes through.... almost. I guess Ill leave it alone, dont want to mess it up Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:30 PM

That notch isn' t for the cock vane, it' s to hold the arrow in the right location. The WHOLE arm should be WELL out of the way of your fletchings.
It SOUNDS like the rest isn' t set up quite right...you should have ZERO contact with your vanes.
I would look at re-doing it...however, now that the season is here...I wouldn' t change anything until after the season.