Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 When is a bow properly tuned? >

When is a bow properly tuned?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When is a bow properly tuned?

Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 AM

Default When is a bow properly tuned?

When is a bow properly tuned? That is the question I am trying to solve. Do you base your percentage tuned on paper tears, bare shaft, broadhead placement, or just a gut feeling?

My new switchback is shooting bullet holes during papertuning, but to do so, I have toposition the centershot 1/4 inch out of true centershot of the bow. Is that acceptable? Is it tunned? I can also put all the arrows in a 2 1/2 inch circle at 30 yards. Paper says it is tuned, but my gut says otherwise.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is a bow properly tuned?

Paper tuning is a good start. You then should walk back tune it. If that works out and your specs ( ATA, cam timing, tiller, brace ) are to factory specs then you are definitely getting there. You might have someone else shoot it through paper as it could be a form issue on your part.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM

True center-shot is an oernery donkey to try and pin the tail on. The way the cables come off the cams and how they react through the draw cycle may cause center shot to change as the bow is loaded. It may be that your bow is at center shot for the way it cycles, but 1/4" seems like a bit much to be out with the bow at rest. I'd say if the groups are tight out to 30, and broadheads are falling in the same group then you're good.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My new switchback is shooting bullet holes during papertuning, but to do so, I have toposition the centershot 1/4 inch out of true centershot of the bow. Is that acceptable? Is it tunned?
IMO no, it could be better.