Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 hoyt limbs breaking >

hoyt limbs breaking

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

hoyt limbs breaking

Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM

Default hoyt limbs breaking

Im interested in buying a older model hoyt with solid limbs from a friend....I have read at other forums these bows are prone to breaking limbs....how often does this happen?....is it something common?.....would it happen with just regular use?....I'm gentle with my stuff...but don't want to shell out big bucks for a new bow.....I'm just wondering if I check out this bow if it will be worth while if it has no cracks, the owner of the bow had the limbs replaced 2 years ago....do you think i should worry about something breaking or no?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hoyt limbs breaking

Honestly I've never read about a broken Hoyt limb. I'm guessing your talking about a solid limb one. I still have one of those and never had a problem. They are a beast, very heavy and only a 50% let off (if I remember right). Huge grip. One of these days I like to rebuild it.

Here's a side note. I contacted Hoyt twice about the bow trying to find some info, they were clueless. Like they change employee's every time the come out with a new model.I was amazed they had nothing on it, not even a fond memory.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Any bow can break a limb, new or used. I've never personally seen a broken Hoyt limb, but my nearest dealer who pushes Hoyt hard, said he had a few Vipers that suffered cracked limbs when they first came out. Hoyt took care of it.

Just look it over really good as you would with any used bow.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 AM

alright, I'm going to check it out today, If I can't find no cracks or dings or anythign I think I'm going to buy it, If i remember right it was a powertec, not 100 percent sure though....so as long as I'm careful and there are already no cracks the chances of me doing it just by shootingand huntingare low?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Very low, like struck by lightning low, never seen a Hoyt limb break or crack, wish I could say the same for some other manufacturers.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM

yea i agree very rare. my buddy has had a problem with his pse and 3 sets of limbs till we found out that he was actually shooting too low weight arrow and tip. he was shooting a 250 arrow with an 85 grain field point with a 70 pound bow.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:22 PM

well im shooting 45/60 carbon rebels with a 100 gr. muzzy broadhead.....do u think that is too light or just right?...at 64 pounds?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 AM
Host of Hosts

Like a few others have already said. Any bow can crack a limb, just never hear of it from Hoyt's.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM

well alright then, i guess i will buy another one, i already have one, but was leary of it breaking, but if its a slim chance i guess i will buy up another one...and huh this is my other sn, which the password was lost when we changed internet servers so i figured i woudln't be able to get it back so i made a new one