Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 antique Ben Pearson >

antique Ben Pearson

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

antique Ben Pearson

Old 07-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Default antique Ben Pearson

Well, my "new" bow arrived today, some of you may know the story from my other posts. This late 70's bow shoots so much smoother and fasterthan that mid/late 80s Golden Eagle I had! And I've learned draw weight isn't everything- the new one's set at 55 lbs, the old was at 70#. But the Pearson shoots noticeably faster, way more comfortably and the arrows have more power- they blow right through the bale of straw I use for a target, which only happened occasionally with the Gold E! I get the feeling I couldn't launch an arrow for 200+ yards with the new bow, but we all know there's no purpose to that anyway, just something I did a few times when I first got that GE to see what it was capable of. I'm also shooting a lot better since I just took the sights off this bow and am not even going to bother with them!
Here's a question for some of the old-timers around here who may remember these late 70s bows: are the draw length and draw weight directly related? I only see one adjustment on the cams, marked 0,5,10 and 15. I assume that relates to weight, 45-60# (as marked on the bow)in 5# increments. I've got it set at 55#, but the length (29"-31" marked on bow) seems a bit long for my 29" draw. If a picture would help, let me know and I'll get one on here!
Thanks,
-Drew
Old 07-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: antique Ben Pearson

Love to see the beast. You could be right about the marks.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Here's the cam, with an allen wrench to show how you adjust the draw weight. Now that I've had time to mess with it, I've seen the draw length stays the same, 29". Not that I need to change it, but I wonder if turning the angled piece of metal to point away from the bow or moving it from the belly to the back would change the length? It seems likethat might adjust the cam position the same as switching the cable between the grooves in some modern bows, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 PM

Here's the numbers, and another view:

Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM

And here's the bow itself. In real life, its more like an army green. It was drilled for a stabilizer, and putting the one from my old Golden E makes it shoot more comfortably. It also shot ok before I put the cable guide on it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt and I like it as another way to grab the bow. I get a kick out of the way this looks like someone took a one-piece traditional, sawed off the recurves and bolted on a couple of wheels, as opposed to the modern bows that look like the cams were designed and the bow built to fit them!

Sorry about using 3 posts, but I set my camera on the lowest size and quality settings, but each picture still came out at 52KB, and one post has a max of 100KB attachments.