Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Choosing an Arrow Saw >

Choosing an Arrow Saw

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Choosing an Arrow Saw

Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Choosing an Arrow Saw

I'm beginning to gain some confidence and independence (from shops that I have to travel an hour to get to), and want to start fletching/repairing/replacingmy own arrows this season. I see that cabelas has a seemingly nice arrow saw combo (see link) and would like to purchase. My question is what does the 8000 rpm unit do that the 5000 rpm unit doesn't do? The difference I can see is 50 bucks and 3000 rpm. Do I need the higher rpm to cut carbon arrows? (I shoot A/C/C super lites) OR - is it just that "more rpm = more gooder?"

Also - ANY tips on fletching jigs/insert prepping/vanes/glues etc is more than welcome.

Thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0039351417587a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Arrow+Saw&N=4887&am p;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&amp ;Ntt=Arrow+Saw&noImage=0
Old 07-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choosing an Arrow Saw

Get a Harbor frieght and make your own jig. I bought one on ebay for $24. Its rated at 7800rpm i think. It cuts great. I too just started refletching/cutting my own gear, and this saw works great for me.

I bought the Bitzenburg jig and am very satisfied. I use bohing blazer 2" vanes, exteremly satisfied. For adhesives i have bohning fletching-tite and power bond for the inserts.

PS - im in Cecil Co, MD... its nice to see someone from not to far away on here...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cut my shafts with a Dremel then square them with a G5 A.S.D. tool.They spin nice and true.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Fechmupbud, I got one of those for Father's day; the 8,000 rpm model. They are very nice for the money. In comparison to the more expensive Apple saws, they are just as good. The difference between the 8,000 and 5,000 rpm models are this: If you are only going to trim aluminum arrows, the 5,000 model is adequate. If you are going to trim carbons, you need the higher rpm in order to not damage the carbon fibers and cleanly cut the arrows. The 8000 will cut both, so it is a no brainer to get the higher rpm IMO. I've made three saws over the years. One with the Harbor Freight saw, one with a dremel tool (actually a Craftsman equivalent) and one with a old sewing machine (for aluminums). I have given them all to friends over the years. I can tell you...I much prefer this one over any I've built. This last year I had been too lazy to build a new one and had a dozen arrows, that I can't get anymore by the way, ruined (cut too short for me) at my local archery shop. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought a ready made one and have been done with it. They are just made to do one thing - which makes them perfect for it.

Hope this is of help.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks guys,

that was all a great help.

Ed - I've got a buddy around that way, close to the Chesapeake Inn, and I used to fish on the flats when Iwas in college at UD. How did everone make out this spring? Small world!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Mini cutoff saw

It's 7,800 RPMs , easily enough for any shaft .
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use the Harbour Freight mini cutoff saw.Its cheap and it does the job.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

Fechmupbud, I got one of those for Father's day; the 8,000 rpm model. They are very nice for the money. In comparison to the more expensive Apple saws, they are just as good. The difference between the 8,000 and 5,000 rpm models are this: If you are only going to trim aluminum arrows, the 5,000 model is adequate. If you are going to trim carbons, you need the higher rpm in order to not damage the carbon fibers and cleanly cut the arrows. The 8000 will cut both, so it is a no brainer to get the higher rpm IMO. I've made three saws over the years. One with the Harbor Freight saw, one with a dremel tool (actually a Craftsman equivalent) and one with a old sewing machine (for aluminums). I have given them all to friends over the years. I can tell you...I much prefer this one over any I've built. This last year I had been too lazy to build a new one and had a dozen arrows, that I can't get anymore by the way, ruined (cut too short for me) at my local archery shop. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought a ready made one and have been done with it. They are just made to do one thing - which makes them perfect for it.

Hope this is of help.
I got the same saw for Father's Day and finally used it this weekend. It cuts as well or better than the Apples and is much, much easier & faster to set up than the Harbor Freight.

The harbor freight saws will do the job, but with the Cabela's, I didn't need the G-5 squaring tool. I used it on the first couple and realized it wasn't doing anything since the arrows were already square.

I agree with SS 100%