Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 First time using the Bowmaster >

First time using the Bowmaster

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First time using the Bowmaster

Old 07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default First time using the Bowmaster

portable bowpress and it worked great. I bought one of these a couple of months ago and finally got to try it out. Due to the marks on my Patriot's cam being slightly off after several hundred shots I thought I'd twist the cable and bring it back in. Being careful not to scratch the bow and using the leather pads, a few turns of the bolt, and enough pressure was off to easily do the job. Oh yeah, the factory cam marks are perfect again. For something so portable and easily carried on a far from home hunt it would do the job!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First time using the Bowmaster

I bought one over the winter and absolutely love it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I use one too and find it to be very simple. I use the split limb adaptors and hook them over the tips of the limbs so the tool is between the string and cables. Very little pressure is needed and it works great this way with no marks on the limbs and the limbs are being pulled at the axle point. Way less pressure than drawing the bow even. I even designed a bow holder (vise) so that the bow can be supported with the string upwards and very secure. It screws into the stabilizer hole and pivots on all axises so the bow can be swung from side to side, straight up and down for mounting accessories, and in the correct pressing position. My grandfather welded it up for me and it works great, just needs a little paint to clean it up a bit.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:41 PM

I also love mine except when you need to swap a string out. Its difficult to remove the string from the top limb if you use the split cable brackets. So on the top limb you have to use it without the bracket and I think it puts a little more stress on the limbs.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 AM

I had a bowmaster and it broke while I was pressing my bow. The crimp on the end of the bowpress let go. Scared the crap out of me. I use a portable press made by psycho(I think thats the name). Its so much easier to use. It attatches the same way as the bowmaster except to press the bow you just draw the bow. I don't know if they still make them.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:39 AM

I've used mine for a few years now...no complaints really, it does what it's supposed to. One thing I've found is that it's much easier if you have a ratchet on hand to use that when tightening the press down instead of relying on fingers with that short handle.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 AM

I have one and like, it has saved me many trips to the shop. It's great for installing peep sights and stuff like that. I can actually take my bow apart with it, but barely. If you had just the right axle to axle length with the wrong press you wouldn't be able to do it.

And I HATE the split limb adapters. My girlfriend has a alpine and a rintec, both have split limbs. What a pain in the butt those things are to use. I mean it works, just a bit of a pain is all.

Paul
Old 07-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, How are you using the split-limb adaptors? They work pretty well if put on the bow right. I hook mine on the limb with the adaptor between the string and the cable. This way they don't interfere with the string when the limbs are depressed.

Junst thought I'd mention this. I did it wrong for a while when I first got them. I even got to where I use them on solid limb bows like my Martins.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't need one of those. I can do all that with either two one inch dowels six inches long or a allen wrench and completely disassemble my bow.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:14 AM

That is how I do it, but it took some tinkering to figure it out the first time. They are just a pain to get hooked up and everything. One falls off while you are trying to get the other one on and stupid stuff like that. I am using them on pretty small bows as well. Like I said, they work, just one more thing in the chain is all.

Paul