Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Serving for STS? >

Serving for STS?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Serving for STS?

Old 07-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Serving for STS?

I serve the string contact area on my Trykon/STS rig before it bacame a problem. I'd suggest you do the same, it's a good safety. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got the rear mount STS put on yesterday and did have the string served at the STS and at the loop as well. Also had a new loop put on although thay doesn't really have anything to do with this thread. Anyway I really like the STS. What a difference. I thought I had a pretty smooth and quiet bow before. I'm impressed.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put my STS on tonight and shot it. What a difference, my bow has ZERO vibration now. Im really liking this new toy. I have not served my string yet, as i dont have a serving tool.. but one will be in the mail really soon.

I noticed my bow when from a thump-hummmmm sound to a thwak. It seems like it might be a little louder but i cant tell, it is a shorter poping-like sound. I will probably shoot the bow w/o the STS before i serve the string to give me a good comparison. Im hoping once i serve my string it will lessen the effect. Any suggestions on this?

Also, I have pre-STS and post-STS chrono's for my bow and it gave me about 3 Ft/s, which is about what i expected to get form it... Now i might take my string silencers off to get a few more FPS... decisions decisions....
Old 07-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingEd, I've found that placing some sort of plastic or vinyl washer between the STS and my riser seemed to help (maybe my ears just wanted it to?)
And you can fine tune your STS to both noise and speed by adjusting it up and down the string and by adjusting how far in or out from the string the rubber bumer sits at rest. The noise & sound produced will change as the bumper is moved from touching the string to away from the string.

I believe my 2 set-ups resulted in about a 1/16" gap between the string & bumper. If you look here you can see the washers, but the gap doesn't show up in the pic's I took-

Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Interesting that you actually have a gap between the string & bumper. My Pro Shop set mine to the recommended 1/16" into my string. I'll have to play with it a little. Thanks for the idea Dave!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Offhand I do believe the Tributes is touching slightly, but I do know the Pat wanted a gap.

Speedwise the only gainsI ever saw were removing string silencers. I could adjust some speed loss into the mix, but never any gain.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Could you notice any difference in sound by removing the string silencers?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just came in from the backyard range,(HAHA). I put a gap in where there was not one before. The guy at the shop had the string right on the damper. I put a small space in there, about 1/16, and started shooting. I could tell a difference right away. My Diamond Victory is a lot like the Patriot so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Thank you Dave C for the tip.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

First allow me to apologize for a CRS moment. I just rechecked each bow and both are slightly touching the stopper. When my Patriot’s STS was mounted more towards the bottom cam I had a small gap, but since moving it towards the center it is barely touching. Both bumpers have a slight angle to them and the string is only gracing the lower portion of the bumper on each.
If you notice in the picture My STS’s are running in line with the riser. I liked the cleaner look of not having them hang out sideways and since they wanted (noise & chrony results) to ride high anyways I moved them up by cutting off the excess shaft and trimming the block (on the older style, newer needed no trimming) to allow ample room for the grip without touching it. This makes them more like the STS that guy was selling on AT.

On the Tribute I didn’t choose to remove the silencers, they left me. Once they started throwing legs I hacked them off. When the first one left (the bottom I believe-CRS AGAIN!) the noise level of the bow remained the same, when the other left I picked up a slight twang towards the upper cam. That is where I planned on placing the bow-jax.
I did gain 1fps when the first left, then lost that fps when the other left. I replaced their empty string weight with brass nocks and regained my 1 fps & then some(might have been 2)

When I shoot it next to the XT and allow someone else to shoot it I’ll know if more sound deadening material is required.

BTW, I don’t think the Tribute needs an STS (some are getting tired of reading this[8D]) it’s my sight and rest that were making noise and the STS helped reduce enough of the remaining vibration to shut them up. (drop zone & pro-slide) (my theory)
Maybe next year I’ll swap the sight and rest out with something else, possibly swap gear from one bow to the other. After Fridays shoot I’ll have a better feel on what I need to do, if anything at all.

On my Pat it sounds plenty quiet with nothing but the STS, dare I say it has the same amount of shot noise as the Tribute, but in a different pitch.

All this worry over nothing, I know people who kill way more deer than I ever will with bows that have no sound deadening devices on what so ever. They just let raw arrow speed & KE do the work. Aim low & they drop right in.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Txrookie, glad it worked for you. Like I said above I used to have a 1/16 gap when it was lower on the Patriots string.
I've read some people post a "buisness card" thickness between the string & bumper.

That's what's so sweet about these simple accessories, one allen wrench and a little time & you can fine tune them. If you don't get anywhere just place them back where they were before you started- no harm, no foul.

Quick Reply: Serving for STS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.