Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Performance Question >

Broadhead Performance Question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Performance Question

Old 06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Performance Question

For the past 12 years, I have been using the same bow, and haveusually not had a complete pass-through, unless the hit was just right. I had been using heavy fixed bladed broadheads, near cut on contact, thunderheads, since they seem to have better penetration than mechanical heads.

But this week, I purchased a new Switchback XT, which is must faster than my previous bow, soI'mdebating on switchingto mechanicals. Many because I hunt in wide open areas, with few trees where the wind is blowing 15-40mph on a normal day,and I would assume mechanicals would have less arrow drift. Any many of the shots are in the 40 yard range.

My 2 questions, is how much arrow drift and penetration differences would 2 comparible Fixed and Mechanical Broadheads have? I know the question depends on a lot of factors, but I'm looking to see if any of your archery tech's have any information, or any other reports I can read on it. Just trying to see whether Mechanicals are really worth the switch. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Performance Question

Unless it is extreme wind conditions, u shouldnt have any drift problems. I only shoot mechanicals for turkeys, simply cause i am more comfortable with cut on contact heads. I shoot magnus stingers, and nuge blades. Both of them shoot great, they are very durable, and at the end of the season you can mail them in and magnus will send you all new heads. I hunt a lot in north west oklahoma where the wind always blows 15 mph, and usually more than that. Wide open, varied terrain, and i have never seen that much difference in wind plaining. If you like your fixed blades and have confidence in them, i would say stick with them.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wasp Jakhammers ROCK! Check out my journal (Todd Pringnitz) if you would like to see what results I've had with them. Also, my arrow speed is only about 260 fps, while using a relatively heavy 9.8 gpi arrow...

Old 06-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Old 06-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

It would be nice to be able to try out several different heads and 5Shot always has good reports.

Ks, I urge you to give one of the new smaller fixed blade heads a chance. Rcy. Mt. Turbos, Slicktricks, NAP Nitrons, and the new Muzzy MX 4's come to mind. I swear my Turbos fly exactly like my field points.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

But some and try them. I'd stick with the thunderheads. See what the points do along with the heads in the wind. A fletching change helps too.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you do try a mech.. try Grim Reapers they work.. I shoot Thunderhead 125 and Grim Reapers too, just depends on how I am feeling that day. Neither have ever let me down.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:16 AM

Default RE: Broad head Performance Question

On the comparison charts the hypershocksdo quite well in penetration for a mechanical and sustain no damage when shot into 3/4 " plywood.
I purchased a set but have not tried them yet.