Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Adjusting Draw on 02 Patriot >

Adjusting Draw on 02 Patriot

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Adjusting Draw on 02 Patriot

Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Adjusting Draw on 02 Patriot

I need to know if you can wrap the string around this "post" on the cam of the 02 Patriot to shorten the draw length. We had the module changed from a DS3 to a DS4, but my husband feels that this didn't shorten the dl. I'm going to try to give an image of what I am talking about. The "post" isn't grouped with the other obvious "posts", but it does look like the string can go around it.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Arwen1/DSC00873.jpg In the picture it is the one that I am pointing to with the silver object, sort of under the limb a bit.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Adjusting Draw on 02 Patriot

looking at the pic, you don't have the string installed properly. the string should loop around that large post also before being attached to the post it is on. effectively you're lengthening the string by an inch or so the way you've got it - which will definately make the draw length long.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Are you pretty certain about that Gibblet? We had the module changed by the Bowtech Pro at one of the archery shops and that is the way he gave it back to us. Not questioning YOUR answer, just want to make sure I'm right before we take it back. (of course it makes total sense to me, but what do I know?)
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your Patriot is set at 65% let off then that module should give you 26" dl which is a 1" drop. If its set at 80% let off then you would be going from 28 down to 27" DL. As the local string guru ( who I think actually owns a Patriot ? ) said, its not on right.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Great, another pro shop bites the dust for getting my money. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but in order to get the 80% letoff we move the draw stoppost closer to the L. After we put the string on right!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had the module changed by the Bowtech Pro at one of the archery shops and that is the way he gave it back to us.
Switching a module does not involve touching the string at all. Whoever installed the string made the mistake. I'm curious how that thing shoots if its not setup right?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Put it this way, my husband considered using it as a baseball bat after trying to tune it this weekend! Very, very inconsistent. Lucky we didn't damage anything that I know of.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lady Arwen,

Gibblet is right. The posts arenot to adjust the draw length andfor the bow to perform properly the string HAS to wrap completely around all of theposts, including the big one.

With a DS#4 module (27" draw)the draw stop should be set at approx. the 8.5 for approx. 80% let-off.To properly set the draw stop, you start counting from the bottom (L) end of the cam to the middle of the draw stop post screw head.

You'll also need to be sure the cam timing is set properly or the draw stop setting won't be right or in some cases they aren't close if the cam is too far out. On the 2002 Patriot the cam should be set at approx. 5/16" measured from the edge of the module screw hole nearest the edge of the limb, to the edge of the limb.

BTW, I'm not sure what shop you went to but after hanging out withthe folks at Iron Rose Archery in Peyton when I was out there on business last year, I believe they should be able to get you fixed up.

Regards, Pat
Old 06-13-2006, 05:44 AM

oh my god, i was right about something. somebody write this down please - oh nevermind i will,it could be a very long time before it happens again.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Pat:I do know Mike out at Ironrose Archery. Nice fellow, but man is he waaay out in the sticks! We use him when we can.