Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Best method for cleaning arrows to be refletched >

Best method for cleaning arrows to be refletched

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best method for cleaning arrows to be refletched

Old 10-31-2002, 01:23 AM

Default Best method for cleaning arrows to be refletched

I just switched to carbons and have some arrows that need to be refletched. What is the best way to remove the old adhesive and vane material (you know that liitle bit that is left after you rip off the vane). Is there a solvent that I can just rub on to remove the residue completely?

I am shooting Gold Tip 7595 Hunters. What type of vanes come on them so I can get the same kind? Some of the arrows only need 1 vane replaced.

Oh yeah one last thing. I have a fletching jig that does all three vanes at once. It is made by Herters Inc. and is at least 25-30yrs old. You drop the arrow in backwards from the top. It has the metal clamps that remove from each side that hold the vanes. The grooves in which the clamps slide into are adjustable by sliding either left or right on both the top and bottom (to angle the vanes). Is anyone familiar with these? I'm not sure how to set it so the vanes are exactly 3-4 degrees. I have the straight clamps but there is a fletcher in Cabelas that looks just like mine and they sell helical clamps for it. Does anyone know if the clamps will fit my fletcher?

I know this is a tough one. I was hoping someone may have the same jig I do.

Thanks for any help,
Kirk

Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best method for cleaning arrows to be refletched

Acetone or rubbing alcohol should take the glue off. Not sure about your fletching jig. I would invest in a bitzenberger, they are a little fickle when you first start but once you figure it out you won't be sorry.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I just switched to carbons and have some arrows that need to be refletched. What is the best way to remove the old adhesive and vane material (you know that liitle bit that is left after you rip off the vane). Is there a solvent that I can just rub on to remove the residue completely?

I am shooting Gold Tip 7595 Hunters. What type of vanes come on them so I can get the same kind? Some of the arrows only need 1 vane replaced.

Oh yeah one last thing. I have a fletching jig that does all three vanes at once. It is made by Herters Inc. and is at least 25-30yrs old. You drop the arrow in backwards from the top. It has the metal clamps that remove from each side that hold the vanes. The grooves in which the clamps slide into are adjustable by sliding either left or right on both the top and bottom (to angle the vanes). Is anyone familiar with these? I'm not sure how to set it so the vanes are exactly 3-4 degrees. I have the straight clamps but there is a fletcher in Cabelas that looks just like mine and they sell helical clamps for it. Does anyone know if the clamps will fit my fletcher?

I know this is a tough one. I was hoping someone may have the same jig I do.

Thanks for any help,
Kirk

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Kirk, Years ago I fletched a lot of arrows with my cousins old Herter's jig just like the one you've described.

I'm fairly certain the new clamps will fit the old style jig (they look the same) but you should really contact Herter's and ask them before you buy...

I personally use Bitzenberger jigs too. IMHO they're the best on the market.

As far as cleaning the arrows off the other two guys gave great input on that issue...

How's the bow shooting for you? Did you make it to the shop I suggested?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:26 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.

BowTech Shooter! Yes, I went to the shop you had recomended. Jamie was very knowledgable and friendly. BowTech was, of course, very good to deal with and very concerned about my situation. They even sent me a new camo grip after I broke my old one (duh). Everything will be golden as soon as I get it dialed in with the carbons (just switched).

Kirk
Old 11-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

To remove the fletching from carbon shafts i use a stripping tool that you can get pretty cheap from any archery store. Like already mentioned a dull knife will do fine also. To remove the glue i use denatured alcohol that you can get from most hardware stores. The acetone will work but if you rub very hard it will remove the color from your shaft and anything else you rub it on, thats stuffs strong. I use the acetone from time to time on stubborn shafts but i use very little and rub gently.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:19 PM

I have been using MEK to clean my shafts, I work in the actf industry and we deal with a lot of composits, almost all the fighters use it,and we clean everything thing with MEK, I also use bond-tite with carbon and fletch tite with aluminum, and clean the base of the fletch with it also after I place it in the blitz clamp, and so far they are a bear to remove, when I remove fletchs I just use a sharp razor blade and they come right off, I have been using arizona fletches because I found they have the most tecture to help steer the arrows the quickest (aerodynamic drag) and they last the longest, I found if I fletch in a full helicle I get the best groups out to 50 yards

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110