Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching problem - appears solved >

Fletching problem - appears solved

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching problem - appears solved

Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fletching problem - appears solved

I wanted to pass this on to others that have been having problems gluing vanes on carbon arrows. I have had problems from the start and have noticed many others on here having the same problems.

I have tried various glues, various cleaners, and various methods described on the forums. Still having some vanes detaching, many on the first shot after refletching. I did notice that after a vane detached, the dried glue was intact on the arrow shaft, the vane groove was "clean". I was about to buy a whole new jig, new vanes, new glue. Then I read the "Gluing Instructions" on the inside of a package of SPEED FLYTE (Arizona Archery) vanes. Item #3 states:
"To ensure proper adhesion, place sand paper on flat, hard surface. Sand base of vane lightly with straight, smooth strokes. Then place sand paper over edge of desk or table and sand center of vane base on edge of table to ensure all areas of vane have been abraded."

I did this with great results. So far, I haven't lost a single vane. I'm using three different glues, same vanes. I position the vane in the clamp and stroke it evenly about five times. (I'm using 320 grit sandpaper). Then I fold a small piece of sandpaper in half to make an edge that will get at the bottom of the groove....again about five strokes. It is working and I'm relieved! Just wanted to pass it on.......
Old 05-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching problem - appears solved

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Fletching problem - appears solved

Good tip!

When all else fails, read the instructions!

This works with that brand of fletching, butmany brands of vaneshave an activator that you are not supposed to remove.

Every time thatI have had a failure with gluing vanes, insertsor points, it has always been my failure toprepare & clean the shaft properly. Always read the arrow manufacturers instructions on what solvents to use.